none
Event ID 85 error ....Help!

问题

• I am running Server 2008 R2  as a Standalone Server joined only to a workgroup. There is no domain. Only two XP Pro workstations will be
    connecting to this server using Remote Desktop Connection only. Both these
    workstations are housed in the same building. Licensing appears to be correct
    and activated. The user CALs are per user.

The problem I am having is I am getting an Event ID 85
    error. (Remote Desktop License Server Discovery). This error only appears once
    on the first login after the system was shut down in the evening and
    restarted the next day. All logins, after the first, do not generate this
    error.  

This error does not seem to effect anything that I am aware
    of, although, I would like to correct this if possible. Any help or suggestions
    would be appreciated.  Thank You.....

2012年3月21日 0:49

答案

• Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I am able to reproduce the error.  I believe this is a bug.

You may ignore this error since it is not applicable to a RD Licensing server that is installed on a standalone server.  The purpose of the SCP is to allow older (2008 non-R2, 2003, 2000) Terminal Servers to automatically discover the licensing server in a domain environment.  Since you do not have a domain it is expected that the RDL server would not be able to register a SCP.

If you like you may log this on Microsoft Connect so that it may be corrected in a future service pack or server version.  I have not tested to see if a standalone Windows Server 8 Beta logs this same error.

-TP

2012年3月25日 19:21

全部回复

• Hi,

In RD Session Host Configuration (tsconfig.msc) please make sure that the License server is Specified.

Thanks.

-TP

2012年3月21日 4:20
  • Firstly, Automatic license server discovery is no longer supported for an RD Session Host server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2, so you must specify license server for the RD Session Host to use.

Secondly, the error you encounter means the unpublished licensing server in the Active Directory, considering you’re not in AD environment, I recommend you to specify the licensing server manually at first and see if the error persists.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

2012年3月21日 9:35
  • Thanks TP and Miya Yao for your input, The licensed server is specified. I have checked and double checked everything and everything appears to be configured correctly. Thanks for the input.   

2012年3月22日 12:46
  • I have tried everything to resolve this issue, including a fresh install, yet the error continues. It appears that Server 2008 R2 being run as a Standalone Server, joined only to a workgroup, no domain, will generate this error. The error does not seem to cause any problems at the moment but that is no guarantee that this will continue to be the case.

I can honestly say that Server 2008 R2 disappoints me. You would think there would be some fix for this issue. Thanks to all that responded.

2012年3月25日 12:27
  • Hi,

1. What is the exact version of Server 2008 R2 that you are running and what is the source image?  For example, Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1 from OEM dvd.

2. Please post the exact error message from the log (Log Name, Source, Event ID, Level, User, full text).

3. Please list the exact minimum steps needed to reproduce this issue.  For example, installed Server from dvd, then RDSH/RDL Role Services via Server Manager, restarted, logged on via Remote Desktop, checked event log and error is listed.

I checked on three different standalone 2008 R2 servers (2 SP1, 1 RTM) and none of them had event id 85 logged.

Thanks.

-TP

2012年3月25日 17:37
  • Hi,

1. What is the exact version of Server 2008 R2 that you are running and what is the source image?  For example, Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1 from OEM dvd.

2. Please post the exact error message from the log (Log Name, Source, Event ID, Level, User, full text).

3. Please list the exact minimum steps needed to reproduce this issue.  For example, installed Server from dvd, then RDSH/RDL Role Services via Server Manager, restarted, logged on via Remote Desktop, checked event log and error is listed.

I checked on three different standalone 2008 R2 servers (2 SP1, 1 RTM) and none of them had event id 85 logged.

Thanks.

-TP

1. Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1 from RETAIL DVD.

2. Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing/Admin

Source:  Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing

Event ID:      85

Level:         Error

User:          NETWORK SERVICE

Description:

The Remote Desktop license server could not be registered as a
    service connection point in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS). Ensure
    that there is network connectivity between the license server and AD DS. To
    register the license server as a service connection point in AD DS, use Review
    Configuration in the RD Licensing Manager tool.

3. Install Server 2008 R2 SP1 retail DVD on new standalone server. Do all windows updates. Activate Server. Install Remote Desktop Licensing.
    Install Remote Desktop Session Host. Reboot. Open Remote desktop Licensing Manager. Install RDS per user CALs. Reboot. Sign in as Administrator. Open event viewer. Error 85 is listed.

Note: This error only occurs ONCE. I can log off and log back on the server a hundred times and it will not generate this error a second time....BUT, .... If I were to reboot the system it will generate this error once again but only on that first login.

• 已编辑 Lou 47 2012年3月25日 18:37
    2012年3月25日 18:36
  • Hi,

Thanks for the information.  I am able to reproduce the error.  I believe this is a bug.

You may ignore this error since it is not applicable to a RD Licensing server that is installed on a standalone server.  The purpose of the SCP is to allow older (2008 non-R2, 2003, 2000) Terminal Servers to automatically discover the licensing server in a domain environment.  Since you do not have a domain it is expected that the RDL server would not be able to register a SCP.

If you like you may log this on Microsoft Connect so that it may be corrected in a future service pack or server version.  I have not tested to see if a standalone Windows Server 8 Beta logs this same error.

-TP

2012年3月25日 19:21
  • Hi,

I agree, it appears to be a bug in the system. Hopefully a future update will correct this issue. Thank you for all your help.  

2012年3月26日 2:16
  • I have the same problem to, but OS version is Foundation.
    I am running Windows 2008 Server R2 Foundation as a standalone server joined only to a workgroup. There is no domain. There are 3 roles installed: RDS Host, RDS Licensing, RDS Gate. We used 5 RDS CAL's per User.

In RDS Host Manager:
    License Diagnostics - no problem found.
    Number of licensing servers = 1
    Authentication - accessed
    connectivity - accessed
    Group Policy Settings - none
    RDS CAL's installed - 5
    RDS CAL's  accessed - 5

In RDS Licensing Manager:
    All servers - (only one) PEC05, activated, discovery scope = workgroup, cofiguration = OK

Server is working since Sept.2011 and raporting monthly event ID 85. (often at 3:00 - it's update time). April 2012 server was shuting down by system, acording to description:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee526849(v=ws.10).aspx
    (second error massage).

In Event Viewer:

Nazwa dziennika:Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing/Admin
    Źródło:        Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing
    Data:          2012-05-10 03:11:30
    Identyfikator zdarzenia:85
    Kategoria zadania:Brak
    Poziom:        Błędy
    Słowa kluczowe:
    Użytkownik:    USŁUGA SIECIOWA
    Komputer:      PEC05
    Opis:
    The Remote Desktop license server could not be registered as a service connection point in Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS). Ensure that there is network connectivity between the license server and AD DS. To register the license server as a service connection point in AD DS, use Review Configuration in the RD Licensing Manager tool.
    Event XML code:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing" Guid="{4D99F017-0EB1-4B52-8419-14AEBD13D770}" />
        <EventID>85</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-10T01:11:30.973697400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>19</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1760" ThreadID="1780" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing/Admin</Channel>
        <Computer>PEC05</Computer>