none
hyper-v VM live migration

问题

• Hi All,

i would like to ask why we cannot do live migration in a workgroup? why we must need a domain/Active Directory to performed a successful live migration? 

Cheers, 

2012年6月6日 14:29

答案

全部回复

• Are you referring to an SBS migration?

Steve

2012年6月6日 14:55
  • Hi,

Please check the following blog.

Hyper-V and Failover Cluster (Domain Requirements)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/hyper-v-and-failover-cluster-domain-requirements.aspx

2012年6月6日 16:21
  • As the article pointed to by Vincent states, clusters have to be domain members.  And since today Live Migration only can occur between clustered hosts, you have to have things in a domain.

However, that changes with Windows Server 2012!  Live Migrate around the entire environment.  Of course, then you have to do more to manage the security, which is one monster benefit handled by the domain environment.

timcerl

2012年6月6日 17:44
  • Hi,

with scvmm2008/R2

Live migration needs cluster hyper-v

cluster hyper-v needs domain active directory

best regards

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

2012年6月6日 18:05
  • Hi Compukirk,

i mean hyper V  Virtual machine live migration to other hyper V host. 

Cheers,

• 已编辑 bosco123 2012年6月7日 13:34
    2012年6月7日 13:14
  • Hi Vincent Hu,

Thanks for your reply.

erm, i still new in this field, there are a lot of terms in the article i not understand.  May i know what is failover clustering? any example? what is the difference between failover clustering and live migration?

Cheers,

• 已编辑 bosco123 2012年6月7日 13:34
    2012年6月7日 13:23
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

May i know what is cluster hyper-V? can we performed VM live migration to other hyper-V host within a workgroup?

Cheers,

• 已编辑 bosco123 2012年6月7日 13:33
    2012年6月7日 13:30
  • HiTim Cerling,

Tim Cerling

Cisco

1,810 Points720
    Recent Achievements
    First Marked Answer Forums Answerer III Forums Replies III

Thanks for you reply.

May i know what is clusters and clustered host?

"Windows Server 2012 live migrate will around the environment"= is that mean that, we can performed VM live migration to other hyper-v host within a workgroup?

Cheers,

2012年6月7日 13:36
  • Hi bosco,

With SCVMM 2008/R2 you cannot use the live migration option within a workgroup,

why ? because the live migration process (transfert 1 vm from an hypervisor to another) is based on a cluster hyper-v configuration.

A cluster hyper-v is a configuration of differents hyper-v servers, named "nodes", which shares the same VMs, the same storage space and the same configuration.

If you don't have a hyper-v cluster, you cannot use the live migration functionnality AND the cluster needs that all the nodes (all hypervisor) are domain members, it's a prerequisite.

I hope that I have answer your question

best regards

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

2012年6月7日 15:16
  • Hi,

What does a failover cluster do?
    A failover cluster is a group of independent computers that work together to increase the availability of applications and services. The clustered servers (called nodes) are connected by physical cables and by software. If one of the cluster nodes fails, another node begins to provide service (a process known as failover). Users experience a minimum of disruptions in service.

Failover Clustering
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725923(WS.10).aspx

At this moment, Live Migration is a part of Hyper-V Failover Cluster. So, without Failover Cluster, you can’t perform a Live Migration.

2012年6月8日 7:20
  • If you don't have a hyper-v cluster, you cannot use the live migration functionnality AND the cluster needs that all the nodes (all hypervisor) are domain members, it's a prerequisite.

Hi Raynald Chaffaux,

Thanks for your reply. 

Let me tell you how i test live migration (move a VM to other server)

1) i install windows server 2008 R2 on 2 servers. 

2) both server are in same network and join in a same domain. 

3) i login with domain user account and i install hyper-v roles on the 2 servers.

4) Then, i create a new VM(installed with Windows 2008) on server A.

5) Next, i performed VM live migration (VM on server A move to server B)

6) And it's successful.

From the above step, i never do any configuration about cluster hyper-v configuration.

Any step i have miss or am i still not understand what is cluster hyper-V ? 

Thanks for you patience.

Cheers,

2012年6月8日 15:01
  • Hi,

5) Next, i performed VM live migration (VM on server A move to server B)
    >> Where and how did you do this?

Live Migration is a part of Hyper-V Failover Cluster in Windows Server 2008 R2.

How LIVE MIGRATION works in Hyper-V R2
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/ranjanajain/archive/2010/03/31/how-live-migration-works-in-hyper-v-r2.aspx

• 已标记为答案 bosco123 2012年6月8日 15:49
    2012年6月8日 15:21
  • Hi vincent and Raynald,

sory for the wrong info i have been given. i checked again, i doing the above step on windows server 8 beta. :0

I think i have the answer. Thank you you guys. :)

cheers, 

• 已编辑 bosco123 2012年6月9日 4:16
    2012年6月8日 15:33