none
Compare 2 x guest OS against each other

问题

• We have a couple of guest OS that we want to compare against one another, each one running on seperate identical hardware, both configured the same but one is more sluggish than the other. E.g. if I remote connect to each one, even clicking Start > Programs is noticable slower on one.

Is there a tool I can run other than perfmon to give me test marks for network, hd, video, memory and CPU

I'm not interested what the realtime % measure is, I want to be able to run a test maybe three or four times and view working results to make my own conclusion.

Thanks

2012年5月11日 12:41

全部回复

• I suggest to look in this webcast:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NewZealand/2010/SVR313

You will see some interesting info that can help you.

2012年5月11日 15:52
  • We have a couple of guest OS that we want to compare against one another, each one running on seperate identical hardware, both configured the same but one is more sluggish than the other. ..........

Hi,
    go under Hyper-V best practices analyser and check if Integration services are up to date for both your VMs.
    In fact, not having intergration services set on one of the VMs may lead that vm to look more sluggish than the other ... :)

Did you meant that each VM is running inside a separate Hyper-V box ?
    If so, even though you'd have same hardware on the two hyper-v boxes
    and identical virtual hardware for VMs, you might not experience same performance
    if there is different workloads on your hypervisors.

For the tool, I'd suggest you to use resmon also.

How to pull out info from resmon :
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/yongrhee/archive/2011/01/04/how-to-pull-the-information-that-resource-monitor-resmon-exe-provides.aspx

A short resmon screencast :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710685

Thanks.

MCTS Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration

2012年5月13日 6:50
  • Thanks to both of you, I'll take a look.

Fyi though, One VM is on one physical server, the other on another and both physical are identical, both also have the same integration installed.

Both physicals have multiple VM's, although the sluggish VM also shares with VMs serving as DC, SharePoint 2007 and a Print Server.

The not so sluggish shares with an ISA server/AV Server, BlackBerry Server and a HelpDesk server.

I'm suspecting the sluggish issue might be related to the types services its sharing with. 

2012年5月14日 8:26
  • I've got a little further with this.

The problem I think might relate to one of the TS servers running msiexec on logon, in some cases several instances which seems to hog the CPU. The service, msiserver is set to manual on both VM's but for the one with the issue it starts and only stops stops when I end the process for any msiexec.

Any thoughts?

2012年5月29日 10:19
  • Update on this. I shut down all the other VM's on the affected system and no change (even after a VM reboot).

Also, why is msiexec running as a process when you login to the affected VM

Unfortunately, having checked the updates and compared with the other, the slow server has a lot more KB updates than the other. With this in mind I'm not working with like for like.

2012年6月8日 11:07