none
Non-UK English characters stored in AD

问题

• I am working on a forest which has domain controllers and Windows clients across many different countries. In some countries the users have language packs installed on the client machines so hat they can use their own character sets, e.g. Japanese. This extends to them being able to type in their user name in the native character set.

My question is, how is data entered in non-English characters stored in AD? Is there any conversion/translation, or is it stored exactly as entered? The reason I ask is that there is an application that needs to read the user name from AD and then display it in English. I know we could possibly work around this by storing the English version of the name somewhere in the user object, but I need to find out whether AD itself does any character conversion?

Many thanks.

2012年6月15日 1:07

答案

• Hi

As far as I understand AD does not do this character conversion

Refer below link to understand more

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755809(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it helps __________________________ Best regards Sarang Tinguria MCP, MCSA, MCTS Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

2012年6月15日 12:43
  • I can create users in AD with foreign characters (Japanese I think) by pasting the characters in ADUC. I used the characters for both cn and sAMAccountName. The names show up correctly in ADUC on Windows Server 2008 R2, but with the foreign characters replaced by "?" characters in Windows Server 2003. The same in ADSI Edit. VBScript and PowerShell show the characters as ?. It looks to me that AD uses the characters you enter with no conversion. The only way I can bind to the users in a script is to find the object by some other property. I don't know how W2k8 displays the names if W2k3 cannot, and I cannot display anything but "?" characters in a script. So far, I cannot find documentation.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

2012年6月19日 17:31

全部回复

• Hi

As far as I understand AD does not do this character conversion

Refer below link to understand more

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755809(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope it helps __________________________ Best regards Sarang Tinguria MCP, MCSA, MCTS Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

2012年6月15日 12:43
  • Expecting more comments from Experts or Microsoft

2012年6月19日 15:46
  • I can create users in AD with foreign characters (Japanese I think) by pasting the characters in ADUC. I used the characters for both cn and sAMAccountName. The names show up correctly in ADUC on Windows Server 2008 R2, but with the foreign characters replaced by "?" characters in Windows Server 2003. The same in ADSI Edit. VBScript and PowerShell show the characters as ?. It looks to me that AD uses the characters you enter with no conversion. The only way I can bind to the users in a script is to find the object by some other property. I don't know how W2k8 displays the names if W2k3 cannot, and I cannot display anything but "?" characters in a script. So far, I cannot find documentation.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

2012年6月19日 17:31