none
External network - HyperV machine without internet access! :(

問題

• Hi,

I have setup a HyperV machine with an external virtual network in the virtual network manager...

An now the hyper v machine hase none internet access.

What I should do to setup an internet access to the hyperv machine?

Regards,

• 已變更類型 Vincent HuModerator 2012年5月8日 上午 11:50 I changed the type to discussion as you don't accept the workround
    • 已變更類型 gicio 2012年5月9日 下午 03:25 because it is a question
    2012年5月4日 上午 11:31

解答

所有回覆

• Hi,

If there is only one physical network adapter on the Hyper-V host machine, you need to check the box “Allow management operating system to share this network adapter” when you create the External Virtual Network. You can modify the option in Hyper-V Manger > Virtual Network Manager after you created it.

2012年5月4日 下午 01:47
    版主
  • Hi,

the option "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" is already checked.

But how to set up the IPs?

2012年5月4日 下午 03:26
  • Hi,

So please check whether the Hyper-V host machine get proper IP address and other settings. You can configure the Hyper-V host machine to get IP address automatically from your router or DHCP server, or you can assign it manually.

2012年5月4日 下午 05:01
    版主
  • Hi!

When you bind a network adapter to an external virtual network, the physical adapter will have all its protocols including TCP/IP disabled. All that remains is the "Microsoft Virtual Switch Protocol".

By checking the box to share the adapter with the host, Hyper-V adds a new virtual network adapter to the host and connects it to the virtual network. The new virtual adapter is the one you should configure and leave the physical adapter as it is.

2012年5月4日 下午 05:09
  • Is there any tutorial available how to configure that stuff / IPs manually.

I have no DHCP Server here.

2012年5月5日 上午 11:39
  • I'll write a short tutorial, just follow these steps:

On your hyper-v host, open "control panel" from your start menu -> click "Network and sharing center" -> In the left pane click "Change adapter settings" -> right-click the adapter with the device name description that matches the name of your virtual network you created in Hyper-V network manager, and select properties

Select TCP/IPv4 and click properties

Click the radio button to "Use the following IP  address" and fill out the information you desire. When you're done, just click OK and you've manually set IP address on your hosts virtual LAN adapter.

2012年5月5日 下午 12:52
  • Hi,

If there is a router in your LAN, the Hyper-V host machine should be able to get IP addresses automatically. Or else, you can follow Mike’s suggestion to assign the network adapter a static IP address. You can also check the following KB.

How to configure TCP/IP to use DNS in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553

2012年5月7日 上午 04:48
    版主
  • I haven't access to a router on this network. 

The settings of the HyperV host are:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : stratoserver.net
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-75-A1-08-25-63
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
      IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 85.14.29.15(Preferred)
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
      Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Freitag, 4. Mai 2012 13:17:31
      Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Dienstag, 8. Mai 2012 01:17:31
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 85.14.12.1
      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.69.13.98
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.19.13.106
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

How to set up the HyperV to get an internet connection?

2012年5月7日 上午 09:47
  • Are you running Hyper-V on a core server? If you are, you can download the CoreConfigurator application: http://coreconfig.codeplex.com/

It will add some GUI to your core server so that you can easier change IP settings.

2012年5月7日 上午 10:37
  • It's not a core Server installtion :(
    2012年5月7日 上午 10:44
  • Hello Gicio,

Your network configuration is the problem i think.

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 is a broadcast subnet.

It can not go through the Router. at least it has to go through Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 85.14.12.1

But it can not because of they are not in the same subnet. Also when you are configuring this , it gives an error.

Also are you using static Internet IP?

The server and gateway has to be in the same segment.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

2012年5月7日 上午 11:13
  • The host server get its IPs from a DHCP Server.

In VmWare exists something like "NAT: Used to share the host's IP address"...

Exists something like this in HyperV?

2012年5月7日 上午 11:19
  • Hello,

From the host, not in the VM, can you try to ping gateway?

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : stratoserver.net
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-75-A1-08-25-63
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
      IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 85.14.29.15(Preferred)
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
      Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Freitag, 4. Mai 2012 13:17:31
      Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Dienstag, 8. Mai 2012 01:17:31
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 85.14.12.1
      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.69.13.98
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.19.13.106
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The DHCP also gives a wrong subnet mask and IP.

Do you have another server and check for the IP/ subnet / gateway?

It must be a physical adapter not Microsoft Virtual Network Switch Adapter?

First be sure the host have internet access.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

2012年5月7日 下午 12:05
  • The hosts Server IP configuration is 100% OK! (I don't post here the real IPs :) )

And YES the host has internet access,

2012年5月7日 下午 12:10
  • Then to clarify, your hyperv server has internet access, but VM does not , right?

The VM is also getting IP address from DHCP, right?

You created Virtual Switch Manager with external and check "Allow Management Operating System to share this network adapter and choose the physical ethernet which has internet access?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 01:00
  • Then to clarify, your hyperv server has internet access, but VM does not , right? --> YES

The VM is also getting IP address from DHCP, right? --> I don't know where the HyperV machine get this IPs .. I don't think this comes from a DHCP:

You created Virtual Switch Manager with external and check "Allow Management Operating System to share this network adapter and choose the physical ethernet which has internet access? --> YES

2012年5月7日 下午 02:00
  • Hello ,

This is not a valid ip address. That means the VM can not get IP address from DHCP.

Try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew in the vm , if you can not get ip address please contact your DHCP guy. Give the MAC Address and see what happens.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 02:07
  • What NIC model are you using?
    2012年5月7日 下午 02:07
  • Hello ,

This is not a valid ip address. That means the VM can not get IP address from DHCP.

Try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew in the vm , if you can not get ip address please contact your DHCP guy. Give the MAC Address and see what happens.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

This is a dedicated server at a provider. Every IP costs.
    2012年5月7日 下午 02:10
  • What NIC model are you using?

2012年5月7日 下午 02:12
  • Hi,

Then there is no option like NAT.

You have to get IP address for the VM.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 02:19
  • I have no DHCP Server here.

The host server get its IPs from a DHCP Server.

I quoted some descriptions in your previous posts, it seems that there are some conflict.

By the way, Hyper-V networking is different from VMware Workstation network. Before you perform the further research, it is recommended that you have a read of the following Hyper-V networking guides.

How does basic networking work in Hyper-V?

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx

Hyper-V: What are the uses for different types of virtual networks?

http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/17/hyper-v-what-are-the-uses-for-different-types-of-virtual-networks.aspx

2012年5月7日 下午 02:46
    版主
  • Vincent Hu I read this blogs and everything is clear + the configs are OK....

The problem in my case is that I have one NIC on a Server that has internet access and on this server I host a HyperV machine that can't get an IP because there is no DHCP for this Server.

So what I must do to get internet on the HyperV Machine? It should be possible.... it's posibble with VMWare Workstation on the same Server :)

2012年5月7日 下午 03:26
  • Hi,

If you want the virtual machines running on Hyper-V to have internet access, the easiest way should be create an External Virtual Network bind to one physical network adapter. Later you can attach the virtual network adapter of the virtual machines to the External Virtual Network, then the virtual machines will work like a physical machines. If your physical computers can get IP address from either router or DHCP server, the VMs can do also.

By the way, how did you access internet on other physical computers in the same LAN? Please provide details.

2012年5月7日 下午 03:32
    版主
  • Hi,

If you want the virtual machines running on Hyper-V to have internet access, the easiest way should be create an External Virtual Network bind to one physical network adapter. 

This is already done.

Later you can attach the virtual network adapter of the virtual machines to the External Virtual Network, then the virtual machines will work like a physical machines. If your physical computers can get IP address from either router or DHCP server, the VMs can do also.

The HyperV Machine will not get an IP from the DHCP.

By the way, how did you access internet on other physical computers in the same LAN? Please provide details.

I have only one Server in this LAN.

2012年5月7日 下午 03:40
  • Hi,

Where is the DHCP server? If the Hyper-V host machine can get IP address from it, then the virtual machines connect to the External Virtual Network also can. Please provide your network topology in details.

2012年5月7日 下午 03:43
    版主
  • This is a dedicated Server that are rent at my provider. The host Server get the IPs form the DHCP (with a MAC check I think).

I do not see any possibility to get IPs on the HyperV Machine from the DHCP.... and my provider also confirmed that.

2012年5月7日 下午 03:49
  • Hi,

If your provider has a MAC check list, then you need to ask him to add the MAC addresses of the virtual machine to the list instead of block the MAC addresses.

2012年5月7日 下午 04:04
    版主
  • Vincent Hu with this package I can't get a second IP from the DHCP...no chance!

But what is with configure RRAS (Routing and Remote Access) as a NAT router on the host to do the same that VMware done?

• 已標示為解答 Vincent HuModerator 2012年5月8日 上午 08:59
    • 已取消標示為解答 gicio 2012年5月8日 上午 09:03
    2012年5月7日 下午 04:11
  • Hi,

OK, you can't get a second IP from the DHCPs is the cause of the issue, you should provide this information in your first post.

By the way, the blog you found is a workaround in your environment.

• 已標示為解答 Vincent HuModerator 2012年5月8日 上午 09:00
    2012年5月7日 下午 04:23
    版主
  • NAT doesn't really make sense for a server VM, you wont be able to
    access anything on the VM other than the console display that you get
    through the Hyper-V manager.  (no incoming connections into the VM.)

If that's okay, and you have enough access to the host to reconfigure
    it like that, maybe.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    2012年5月7日 下午 04:24
  • By providing details about your server location and the agreements with your provider regarding network restrictions, you really cleared things up a lot.

Although it's possible to configure a RRAS solution that you mention, it was originally never intended to be mixed with Hyper-V networking. Like Vincent said, it's a workaround for people running Hyper-V VM's for testing on their laptops. A lot of people have been fiddling around with RRAS and Hyper-V for the last couple of years, some not really understanding what they were doing.

So if you are building a Hyper-V test environment, then sure. If you intend on going into production with this setup, then maybe Hyper-V isn't the ideal hypervisor for your scenario. (or any hypervisor for that matter, considering the network limitations applied to your host server.)

• 已編輯 Mike_Andrews 2012年5月7日 下午 04:52
    2012年5月7日 下午 04:33
  • Ok, wait....

Does this mean when I order a second NIC with a new IP (second on the server) from my provider the problem will still exists that the HyperV machines will not get automatically an IP configuration from the host ... and still no internet access???

2012年5月7日 下午 05:53
  • Hello Gicio,

As previous post , like other hypervisor vendor,  NAT can not be made automatically.

For your last question yes , you have to take IP addresses for your every VM if you would like to use .

Other solutions like RRAS , or you can make NAT with your Host Provider, or you can use azure.

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/

https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/saas/

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 06:01
  •  

What If I create a DC machine ... assign the new IP to the machine.... and add all new hyper V machines to it? The DC should have also a DHCP Server.... The DNS Server on the DC should handle the routing for me? What do you thing?

• 已編輯 gicio 2012年5月7日 下午 06:08
    2012年5月7日 下午 06:08
  • Yes you can but not with DNS Routing. You have to configure also Routing and Remote Access service.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 06:28
  • Exists any tutorial for this scenario?
    2012年5月7日 下午 06:29
  • Hi Gicio,

I didnt see any of this scenario on Hyper-V environments.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

2012年5月7日 下午 06:38
  • OK.... than back to VMware :(
    2012年5月7日 下午 06:43
  • Using the above mentioned RRAS workaround on Hyper-V or using the built-in NAT network feature in VMWare may grant your VM's access to the internet, but I doubt that you will be able to make them reachable from the outside.

So if this is a setup meant for testing, you can create internal networks that allow VM's to communicate with each other. If you want to set up virtual web servers and similar that shall be reached from the internet, you will most likely need the vendor to configure their firewall to forwarding ports to your VM's.

2012年5月8日 上午 09:59
  • Hey guys that cannot yet be that Microsoft has no way for my uses case?
    I only need some Hyper-V machines (Domain) in a private network that share the internet connection of the host server.
    Is it toooo much for Microsoft?
    2012年5月8日 下午 12:40
    • 已標示為解答 gicio 2012年5月9日 下午 03:25
    2012年5月9日 下午 03:24
  • You are hosted at strato.  Their switches accept only access by "Physical Address". So any internet traffic by virtual machines are blocked.  If you find/found a simple solution for this problem, it would be very kind of you to post a reply to this.  Thanks from Tom.

2014年2月12日 下午 05:36
  • it will help if you can provide some more insight.

How would the switches know the traffic is coming from Physical address or virtual machines ?

So for VM connectivity to internet from, is there any settings that need to be done in cisco switches ?

what do we need to inform data center ?

provide as much technical stuff which will help to interact with data center . 

2014年2月13日 上午 07:25