none
Domain Controller Role on a Hyper-V Host

問題

• Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have been cautioned to not put any roles other than Hyper-V on a host.  However, I am in a situation where it appears that I must.  Otherwise, I will have my only two domain controllers on virtual machines on two separate boxes, which can cause real issues should both boxes need to be rebooted at the same time (like after a power outage).  I am told that in this scenario the hosts may not be able to boot in the absence of a running domain controller.  So if I do the unconventional and put a domain controller role on one of my hosts, what if any real problems will this cause me?  Thanks for the help.

Again, I understand this is not "best practice."  But it is also not best practice to have your only domain controllers on VMs.  I cannot remove my hosts from the domain (which has been suggested as a "solution" to my situation), as they also must run Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 to backup hosts and VMs and Symantec will not function properly if the hosts are not in the domain.  So is there any really big issue that would preclude me from having the DC and Hyper-V roles BOTH running on one of my hosts?  I DO NOT have another box on which to have a physical domain controller.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

2012年3月25日 上午 01:46

解答

所有回覆

• Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have been cautioned to not put any roles other than Hyper-V on a host.  However, I am in a situation where it appears that I must.  Otherwise, I will have my only two domain controllers on virtual machines on two separate boxes, which can cause real issues should both boxes need to be rebooted at the same time (like after a power outage).  I am told that in this scenario the hosts may not be able to boot in the absence of a running domain controller.  So if I do the unconventional and put a domain controller role on one of my hosts, what if any real problems will this cause me?  Thanks for the help.

Again, I understand this is not "best practice."  But it is also not best practice to have your only domain controllers on VMs.  I cannot remove my hosts from the domain (which has been suggested as a "solution" to my situation), as they also must run Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 to backup hosts and VMs and Symantec will not function properly if the hosts are not in the domain.  So is there any really big issue that would preclude me from having the DC and Hyper-V roles BOTH running on one of my hosts?  I DO NOT have another box on which to have a physical domain controller.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

If your hosts reboot at the same time what's the difference between putting DC inside a VM or running it on a host?

-nismo

2012年3月25日 上午 09:25
  • Hi,

You can do it in a test environment. You can also do it in a production environment. However, as you know, it is not recommended. Enable other roles on Hyper-V host machine may affect the performance of Hyper-V. With less roles, you will be able to narrow down the root cause If there are any issues.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

2012年3月26日 上午 04:34
    版主
  • Hello,

I would suggest that you have two virtual machines, one on each host.  You can configure these safely and not have to make your Hyper-V host into a DC.

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/virtualization/should-i-virtualize-my-domain-controllers/

Nathan Lasnoski

http://blog.concurrency.com/author/nlasnoski/

2012年3月28日 下午 09:05
  • Microsoft does not lay down any hard and fast rule of combining the Hyper-V role alongwith other roles such as AD-DS etc...you can go ahead & implement the same in a test as well as production environment, but beware of performance issues which will crop up.
    2012年4月3日 下午 09:11
  • Hello , try to read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794/en-us

What we tried and worked was:

1. we virtualized our DC without snapshot (NEVER - NEVER use snapshots on DCs) by using a new fresh install the 3rd DC and it was successful

2. but we decided to use another DC in a small server (out of the virtualization environment) without FSMO roles but with DNS integraded and following the KB listed above you can determine wich is the better way to follow.

*in lab we tried to set up Snapshot and we really suffered a lot. but we discovered how to deal with that "solution"

Thiago Beier
    http://handsonbrazil.wordpress.com
    If it helps, please classify the answer!!!

Thiago Beier Microsoft Solutions

2012年4月15日 上午 01:21
  • "NEVER - NEVER use snapshots on DCs."  What is a snapshot and how can I ensure that I do not use snapshots?  You are the second person to say this, but I do not know how to setup the virtual domain controller so that snapshots do not occur.  Thanks for a follow-up.

2012年4月15日 下午 06:47