none
Synchronizing The Same Files On Multiple Win 7 Client Computers From WS 2008 R2 with "Exchange Like" System

問題

• My customer is requesting an "Exchange like" system for synchronizing the files and folders on multiple client computers with their Windows 2008 R2 server.  They have users who have multiple computers (office desktop, laptop for the road, home computer, etc.), ie. each user has multiple computers that need to be synchronized.  Features desired include:

1)  Delete file from one client computer, deletes it off the server and all associated client computers for that user.

2)  Create new file on one client computer, copies that file to the server and all associated client computers for that user.

3)  Modify file on one client computer, and copies updated file to the server and all associated client computers for that user.

4)  Move file or folder to different subdirectory, moves it on the server and all associated client computers for that user.

Please note, I am not trying to synchronize multiple servers, only client computers to a single server.

Thanks,

Michael

2012年3月7日 下午 05:47

解答

• Sounds like a file/document management solution you are looking for. Something along the lines of SharePoint Workspace 2010 would do what you are looking for and more. I would recommend using Groove workspaces for this purpose, excerpt from the website matches what you want to do quite neatly:

A choice of workspace types: 

• SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site.

• Groove workspaces — Provide a rich and secure peer collaboration environment that supports synchronization of content among peer client computers that host a shared workspace. Creation of a Groove workspace enables SharePoint Workspace users to quickly form teams and automatically synchronize online or offline contributions with fellow team members. A full set of collaboration tools lets team members schedule meetings, hold discussions, and share work with trusted partners around the world. Support for communications under various network conditions and across firewalls facilitates timely and effective collaboration.

• Shared Folder workspaces — Support Windows folder sharing among clients. Creation of a Shared Folder workspace lets information workers share the contents of a common folder in a designated Windows Explorer directory.

Link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

2012年3月7日 下午 06:48

所有回覆

• Sounds like a file/document management solution you are looking for. Something along the lines of SharePoint Workspace 2010 would do what you are looking for and more. I would recommend using Groove workspaces for this purpose, excerpt from the website matches what you want to do quite neatly:

A choice of workspace types: 

• SharePoint workspaces — Provide direct bi-directional synchronization of library and list content between a SharePoint site and a workspace on an individual client computer. Creation of a SharePoint workspace enables individual SharePoint users to check out and check in SharePoint library documents from their local computers, bring SharePoint documents and lists to their computers where they can work online or offline, and synchronize local content with a SharePoint site. When an individual client establishes a connection with a SharePoint server, synchronization occurs at regular intervals when the client is online. When a client cannot connect to a SharePoint site, the user can easily take work offline to make updates. The updated documents are automatically synchronized with SharePoint document libraries and lists when the user reconnects. This interface offers an efficient and satisfying alternative to browser access of SharePoint. Unlike other workspace types, the SharePoint workspace is a personal synchronized copy of a SharePoint site.

• Groove workspaces — Provide a rich and secure peer collaboration environment that supports synchronization of content among peer client computers that host a shared workspace. Creation of a Groove workspace enables SharePoint Workspace users to quickly form teams and automatically synchronize online or offline contributions with fellow team members. A full set of collaboration tools lets team members schedule meetings, hold discussions, and share work with trusted partners around the world. Support for communications under various network conditions and across firewalls facilitates timely and effective collaboration.

• Shared Folder workspaces — Support Windows folder sharing among clients. Creation of a Shared Folder workspace lets information workers share the contents of a common folder in a designated Windows Explorer directory.

Link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee649102.aspx

2012年3月7日 下午 06:48
  • James,

This sounds very promising.  I will check into this in further detail.

Thanks!

Michael

2012年3月8日 下午 08:35
  • I have used Groove 2007 in the past, it worked quite easily. Setting up a Groove server was always very easy as well so I expect it will match your requirements quite well.
    2012年3月8日 下午 09:43
  • I am a bit confused as to the minimum or recommended requirements for Groove.  If I am reading this correctly, it is required to have a backend SQL Server, and then an IIS front end server.   Currently, we only have one Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. 

Do we have to buy more servers?  Will SQL Express do the job?

Michael

2012年3月13日 下午 11:59
  • You can usually place the roles on the same server, dependent on your current hardware and the current load on the server. As you can read in the software requirements:

For this Machine You need this Software

SQL Server back-end for Groove Server Manager

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Cumulative Update 2, or SQL Server 2005 with SP3 and Cumulative Update 3 

There are some limitations to Groove server on which servers you can install Groove Workspaces such as you can read about here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681768.aspx#gsmbp

2012年3月14日 下午 02:44
  • Jaap,

The link you posted was a lifesaver.  It said:

"Install each Groove Server Manager on a clean stand-alone Windows Server system. Do not try to install Groove Server Manager on a domain controller or a computer where SharePoint Workspace is running. Doing so will cause the installation process to fail."

Since we only have one server, and it is the domain controller, too, I think we are out of luck with Groove.

Michael

2012年3月15日 上午 12:27
  • I am questioning whether we can install Sharepoint on a single Windows 2008 R2 Server.  One document said it cannot be installed on the domain controller.
    2012年3月15日 下午 10:57
  • You can install SharePoint on a single server. Make sure you select complete install rather than Standalone as standalone uses a SQLlite DB by default. 

If transferring files is all you want to do you could also consider Windows Live Mesh, Dropbox, SugarSync, SpiderOak or any other alternative. The downside is that neither of them are corporate software, so depending on your usage scenario they might suit your need.

2012年3月16日 上午 07:32
  • Unfortunately, it looks like I am out of luck.  When install Sharepoint in a single server mode, the instructions say to not install it on the domain controller.   My customer's company only has one server, which, of course, also serves as the domain controller.

I would like to see Microsoft cater more to the small companies (don't small companies create most of the new jobs?).  I would like to see a scenario where a company can buy Windows Server Standard, and add features as they get the budget, and see the need.

Michael

2012年3月16日 下午 11:07