Looking for information on what changes Windows Installer 2 does to a Windows 7 Pro and Windows Server 2008 R2.
Unfortunately this installer had been run on a couple of workstations and the PDC before it was reallized that is no longer needed.
The installation of it has corrupted the Windows Installer and programs can no longer be installed. The installer can not be uninstalled and so I am left with trying to reverse the changes. Can someone please advise as to what changes this Windows installer would make to the above systems or how to fix this,
The installer is:
File Version 1.10.1029.1
sfc /scannow, nothng found
msiexec.exe /unregister - msiexec /regserver, no effect
Found changes to registry entries:
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\MSIServer - restored to original and still not working
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\MSIserver - restored to original and still not working
Checked files msiexec.exe and msimsg.dll and no changes to them
No restore points available to use
I have not found any information on how to re-install a current version of windows installer. There are installers upto Vista and then for what ever reason MS does make one available for W7 and Server 2008.
There has to be more registry entries that were changed or other files that were changed.
Any help would be appreciated
I could be wrong here but why not just put the newer Windows Installer back on it? It should update the one that's there.
Firstly, based on my research, the MSI FixIt tool: Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled can fix Windows Installer 5 and you are now able to install/uninstall applications. Please run it and see how it works.
If issue persists, based on my research, here are a few common troubleshooting steps to fix Windows Installer:
1. Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver registry key from the affected system after taking a backup. Import the registry from a working machine, reboot your system and see how it works.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer and make sure:
InstallerLocation points to C:\Windows\system32\
MsiExecCA32 points to C:\Windows\syswow64\msiexec.exe
MsiExecCa64 points to C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe
3. Install the latest updates for Windows Installer 5 as per the KB article: "HTTP Error 401.1" error message when Msiexec.exe updates an MSI file in Windows Vista, in Windows 7, in Windows Server 2008, or in Windows Server 2008 R2.
4. Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:
1) On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.
2) In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
3) On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
4) In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER
5. Check if there is pending installation/s:
Warning: You should only edit these registry entries after taking a backup. Also back up your hard disk.
1) Check the following registry key:
and clean any entries that you find.
2) Check the following registry key:
and clean any entries that you find
Hope this helps.
TechNet Community Support
- 已标记为答案 barrywhite 2012年4月26日 16:56
The steps you suggested, other than the FixIt, worked on the Windows 7 machine, now I need to see if it will fix the server.