none
Domain admin password forgot for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard.

Question

• My Domain administrator password for  Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard has been forgotten 

no recovery disc created 

is there a way to change it? I tried the method with start disk, rename Utilman.exe but it won't work like in server 2008  and i have other third party applications from  passcape software but wont seem to work and hirens boot CD wont load

so i cant access to admin account. or is it possible to create another user and assign administrator rights.

Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have any other user who has administrator privileges? If so, you can use that user to reset the administrator’s password.

If you have no other administrator account, there is no Microsoft recommended way to reset the administrative passwords. This is designed for improving security. Thanks for your understanding.

For more information, please take a look at the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189126/en-us

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:10 AM

All replies

• If you forgot the password of system, the official answer is NO, there is no way to get the password back. However, if you have other user account who has Administrator right, such as Domain Admin account if the computer joins domain, you may try to use this user account to login to the computer and then reset the local administrator password. If no, you have to reinstall the system.

no recovery disc created , tried the method with start disk, rename Utilman.exe but it won't work like in server 2008 ( as explained here http://blogs.technet.com/b/meacoex/archive/2011/08/15/reset-your-windows-sever-2008-r2-domain-controller-administrator-password.aspx).

Dead end situation.

Sunday, December 02, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any other user who has administrator privileges? If so, you can use that user to reset the administrator’s password.

If you have no other administrator account, there is no Microsoft recommended way to reset the administrative passwords. This is designed for improving security. Thanks for your understanding.

For more information, please take a look at the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189126/en-us

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hello

I am using Windows server 2011 and is there any system built Admin user in the software or all the users and created by the installers. If there is one what would be the user name for the same, like admin, or Administrator.

Thanks Joshy

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:50 PM