none
"Failed to retrieve report definition" error when opening reports

    Question

  • Hi,

    The users are having trouble opening one of the reports. When they open the report from the Excel Add-in they receive the error message: "Failed to retrieve report definition".
    They are unable to go any further and none of the matrices in the report render.

    I've checked the versions of the Excel Add-in client machines and the server and all are the same at 3.0.4209.00 (SP2). 

    I have recently migrated a set of reports over from one model to another by editing the RDL and republishing with a new name. (I found and replaced the names of the old cubes and replaced with the new cubes name (dimensions are the same in both)). This appeared to work and the reports have been used for the last 1-2 weeks with no problem. Only now has one of this set failed with the above error message. So far it appears unrecoverable. I've tried clearing out the local cache, renaming the report, but with no success. 

    Has anyone got any ideas how I can recover this?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:34 PM

Answers

  • I'd try exporting and importing rather than trying to edit the RDL - had some trouble trying to do that a while back, export/import does it seamlessly. 

    Good luck
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

  • hmmm i don't know why the import/export process didn't work.

    in the worst case you might be able to copy and paste the rdl to a new report. also it might be possible if you use the report properties editer to copy to the clipboard in one excel instance and paste into another.
    -Peter Eb.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:21 AM
  • No luck with this I'm afraid.

    I have tried copying the RDL to another report but after a certain period of time the problem reoccurs. From that point on the report would fail to load. 

    It appears that when I migrated the RDL from one model to another with the same structure, then finding and replacing the model name in the RDL, it becomes corrupt.

    In the end we had to recreate the report from new on the new cube.

    Tom
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:30 AM
  • I'd try exporting and importing rather than trying to edit the RDL - had some trouble trying to do that a while back, export/import does it seamlessly. 

    Good luck
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:39 PM