Error creating edit form for external list - Failed to find the default form for PAGETYPE PAGE_NEWFORM.
Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:40 PM
For the last few days we have been unable to create custom new/edit forms for External Lists in Sharepoint Designer. When i try to create a form Sharepoint Designer show the message 'Could not save the list changes to the server'. The corresponding message in the ULS log file is 'Failed to find the default form for PAGETYPE PAGE_NEWFORM'. Does this mean i have somehow managed to break the form templates for External Lists?
I saw some other posts about the 'Could not save the list changes to the server' error and followed the suggested steps including removing all versions of the list and related content type, and recreating them but this didn't work.
Additional errors that appear in the logs :
- The ListFormBody attribute in the forms schema was found but no child elements exist
- CITPProj::AppendFormSchema failed with 0x80004005. Type is DisplayForm, FormID is 0
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:44 PM
After further investiagtion this seems to be a problem with our BDC model and/or the base objects we are referring to. I was able to add a new entity type to the BDC model , deploy this to the site and create custom forms. But our original entities are still not working. Here is a more detailed explanation of the project setup in case there's something obvious:
- Our datasource is a WCF service, which provides a number of Entities (contained in a dll which is deployed to the GAC)
- In our Sharepoint project we have a set of Custom classes which inherit from the Entities in the dll
- In the BDC we add the Entities and required TypeDescriptors, specifying our CustomEntities as the type for the Entities
- In the BDC service classes we retrieve the base entities from the WCF service and wrap them in our custom classes, extracting any additional data which is required for the BDC
This used to work fine and works fine for new entity types, but it does not work for existing entities (even if i delete them from the BDC and recreate them). I have simplified the entity so it only contains string fields, but i still can't get this to work. I have deleted all versions of the BDC and lists, including emptying the Recycle bins on the site and site collection level. Any ideas what might be wrong?
Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:40 PM
The problem turned out to be that Sharepoint Designer is only able to create forms if the BDC methods return some data. We were returning empty lists or single objects without any properties when the data methods were called from SPD.
An error message that hinted at this would have saved us a lot of time!!!!!!!
The error messages which were shown regarding AppendFormSchema and the ListFormBody attribute were misleading, as they occur even when the forms are created successfully.
- Marked As Answer by KarenPL Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:23 PM