none
Mailbox database "EXCHANGE\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" doesn't exist.

Question

•  I've inherited a half-done Exchange 2010 installation.  The current configuration:

Existing Exchange 2003 server on Windows 2003 server

New Exchange 2010 Server running on Server 2008 R2 x64

all patches have been loaded, as has Exchange Rollup 1.

Single domain in a single Forest. 

Everything seems to be running on the Exchange 2010 system. I can create a new mailbox without issue. But when I go to move a user using the 'New Local Move Request' I get the error:

Mailbox database "EXCHANGE\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" doesn't exist.

I am probably missing something very simple but I have spent a lot of hours on this and find myself stuck.

In the Server 2003 Manager I can see that a routing connector was created between both Exchange servers.

Exchange Server 2003 is running Service Pack 2. The domain is set to Windows 2003 functionality. Exchange 2003 is in native mode.

Any help would be appreciated!

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:31 PM

Answers

• I may have a solution for you:  I ran into the exact issue you did, at roughly the same time you were posting the previous reply.  If you go onto the exchange 2003 server, and open the ESM, then expand Administrative Groups, and right-click on the "first administrative group"(or whatever you named the admin group for the original 2k3 server), and then select properties, click on the Security tab, and click Add, then add the Server that Exchange 2010 is hosted on, with full permissions, it should resolve your problem.  If you go down any further than "first administrative group", it'll say that it can now see the mailbox store, but won't connect due to mapi errors.  Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by BrianB6802 Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:21 PM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:44 AM

All replies

• Does the account you are using have the appropriate rights on Exchange 2003?

Joseph Durnal

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for the speedy reply!

Yes, both servers were created with the domain administrator account.

Edit: Having inherited this configuration I shouldn't assume anything. Both servers are in the same domain, I can access both using the Administrator account. In Exchange 2010 I can do most items as Administrator, except for the moving of mailboxes. In Exchange 2003 I can do anything via the system manager. So I am guessing that this account has full access to both systems.

Friday, March 19, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Does the following find the mailbox database?

Get-MailboxDatabase -Identity "EXCHANGE\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" -IncludePreExchange2010
    Friday, March 19, 2010 11:18 PM
  • It does not. I get the error:

The operation couldn't be performed because object 'EXCHANGE\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)' couldn't be found on 'DC.domain.local'.

DC.domain.local is my local domain controller, which is a global catalog. It is running Windows Server 2008 with all patches. It is NOT the system that is running Exchange 2003.

Edit: I have run adsiedit and checked; that storage group does, indeed, exist. And I have permissions to it and all parent  containers. This one has me flummoxed.

• Edited by BrianB6802 Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:18 PM added information
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:41 AM
  • I may have a solution for you:  I ran into the exact issue you did, at roughly the same time you were posting the previous reply.  If you go onto the exchange 2003 server, and open the ESM, then expand Administrative Groups, and right-click on the "first administrative group"(or whatever you named the admin group for the original 2k3 server), and then select properties, click on the Security tab, and click Add, then add the Server that Exchange 2010 is hosted on, with full permissions, it should resolve your problem.  If you go down any further than "first administrative group", it'll say that it can now see the mailbox store, but won't connect due to mapi errors.  Hope this helps!
    • Marked as answer by BrianB6802 Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:21 PM
  • DING! We have a winner!

First Administrative Group didn't have a "Security" tab, but "First Storage Group" did. I had to add "Computers" to the "Select Object Types" to add my second Exchange server, but as soon as I did that I could see everything from Exchange 2010 and I can now move mailboxes.

Thank you, RavenW! You have saved what little hair I have left.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Thank You! This solved my issue.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:37 PM
  • First Administrative Group didn't have a "Security" tab, but "First Storage Group" did. I had to add "Computers" to the "Select Object Types" to add my second Exchange server, but as soon as I did that I could see everything from Exchange 2010 and I can now move mailboxes.

In my installation the First Administrative Group also didn't have a Security tab either but neither did the First Storage Group branch's Properties' window.

But there was Security tab on First Administrative Group > Servers > <my_exchange_2003_server>'s properties window where I put my Exchange2010 computer with all checkmarks except the last (Special Permissions).

Unfortunately, while this made the error mentioned in the subject of this thread to go away, a new error took its place: 

Error:

Active Directory operation failed on ex2003.mycompany.local. This error is not retriable. Additional information: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.
    Active directory response: 00002098: SecErr: DSID-03150A48, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0

The user has insufficient access rights.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:

'mycompany.local/MYCOMPANY/MyOU/mytestaccount' | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase 'Mailbox Database 1688173763'
    Monday, August 08, 2011 1:24 PM
  • I did exactly this and am still getting the same error whether I use ECM or the shell.

Evans-FS01\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (Evans-fs01) does not exist....

Sean Evans

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:26 PM