none
Calendar Sharing Button Grayed Out (Outlook 2013) - I need to share but can't because of this

Question

• I am running Outlook 2013 w/ BCM on Windows 8 on 2 PC's.  One PC connects to the other's BCM database but today I noticed they calendars aren't being shared anymore AND both the "Share Calendar" options in the top bar are grayed out.  WHY?  What do I need to change?  I spend 2 weeks with MC tech support trying to get 1 computer to connect to the other's remote database (which finally was corrected last week) AND NOW THIS?  Please help.  I getting really frustrated.  I'd gladly go to an online version of BCM where a database could be shared (but not at the expense and many of the features that I wouldn't use in MS Dynamics)
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:27 PM

Answers

• When you use BCM and share the database with another computer, the username the other computer uses to log in needs to be configured on the BCM host machine.

For example, you have a desktop and you log into it as "Carey". On the laptop you use "Vand". These are 'local accounts' You need to create an account on the desktop called Vand and give it the same password as the Vand account uses to log in then set up BCM to allow Vand to connect. When you use BCM on the laptop, BCM passes the Vand username and password the shared database. Using this example, it sounds like the tech created an account for Vand on the desktop.

When you use a Microsoft account as the log in, if both computers are logged in using the same Microsoft account, BCM connects. (I'm doing this.)  If only one uses the Microsoft account, then you need a local account for the other computer.

I don't use Homegroups, but they could affect your ability to connect.

If you put BCM on a SQL Server, you can't use Microsoft accounts to log into the computers.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• This is with an Exchange server account? Are you using any addins besides BCM?

I've had a couple of other people say they could no longer share calendars after installing BCM. And one person said copy to calendar button was disabled. I haven't been able to repro it though.

Outlook Tips

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Yes, I have a few addins.  I'll try disabling all of them and seeing what happens however, like I said, it wasn't grayed out a few days ago and now it is.  Also, it is a POP3 account.

On another note, MS tech support discovered (seeing that you are a BCM guru) that if you are trying to access a BCM database from one computer on another, you have to both be accessing them through "Local" User accounts.  Frankly, I don't know what that means but I'm using Windows 8 and I set up a user account linked to my Microsoft account and the MS tech had to add a local user account to make the BCM remote access work.

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:09 PM
  • When you use BCM and share the database with another computer, the username the other computer uses to log in needs to be configured on the BCM host machine.

For example, you have a desktop and you log into it as "Carey". On the laptop you use "Vand". These are 'local accounts' You need to create an account on the desktop called Vand and give it the same password as the Vand account uses to log in then set up BCM to allow Vand to connect. When you use BCM on the laptop, BCM passes the Vand username and password the shared database. Using this example, it sounds like the tech created an account for Vand on the desktop.

When you use a Microsoft account as the log in, if both computers are logged in using the same Microsoft account, BCM connects. (I'm doing this.)  If only one uses the Microsoft account, then you need a local account for the other computer.

I don't use Homegroups, but they could affect your ability to connect.

If you put BCM on a SQL Server, you can't use Microsoft accounts to log into the computers.

Outlook Tips

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:57 PM
  • It took the MS tech a period of 2 weeks logging into my PC remotely over few days to finally figure that out.  Thanks for explaining it so succinctly.
    Friday, June 14, 2013 5:52 PM