none
PowerShell script to count messages sent from mailboxes in a distribution group.

Question

• Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me on this one.

I am trying to find a powershell script that will count and report to either CSV or HTML the number of sent emails between a period of time for each mailbox in a specific distribution group.

I am no powershell user and so far I have managed -

get-messagetrackinglog -server "<hub server>" -Resultsize "Unlimited" -Sender "<email address>" -Start "03/01/2012 00:00:00" -End "04/01/2012 00:00:00" | Measure-Object | Convertto-Html Count, Sender | Set-Content C:\temp\usermailout.html

But obviously this only reports on a single user, I need something that will pick the mailboxes out of the distribution group and report the sent count.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Si

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Si,

This is one script I wrote to count message sent from mailboxes in a distribution group, hope can give you some help:

$Members=Get-DistributionGroupMember -identity GroupName

Foreach($user in $Members){

$Emailaddress=$User.PrimarySmtpAddress.ToString()

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender $Emailaddress -Start "03/01/2012 00:00:00" -End "04/01/2012 00:00:00"| Measure-Object| Select Count, @{Name='Sender'; Expression={[String]::join(";", $Emailaddress)}}| ConvertTo-Html| add-Content C:\temp\usermailout.html

}

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Si,

This is one script I wrote to count message sent from mailboxes in a distribution group, hope can give you some help:

$Members=Get-DistributionGroupMember -identity GroupName

Foreach($user in $Members){

$Emailaddress=$User.PrimarySmtpAddress.ToString()

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender $Emailaddress -Start "03/01/2012 00:00:00" -End "04/01/2012 00:00:00"| Measure-Object| Select Count, @{Name='Sender'; Expression={[String]::join(";", $Emailaddress)}}| ConvertTo-Html| add-Content C:\temp\usermailout.html

}

Thanks,

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Evan Liu

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Hi Evan,

That worked like a charm, thanks very much.

Si

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for this, I hate to beg for more, but how would I modify this to name each mailbox? Right now it just states

Count Sender
    <Number of E-mails>

With no way of identifying which mailbox it is.

I was also interested in doing something similar to view the number of mails received if this is at all possible?

Thanks in advance

Paddy

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Hi Paddy,

If you need identity the mailbox, you can this change in the commands:

$Name=$User.Name

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender $Emailaddress -Start "03/01/2012 00:00:00" -End "04/01/2012 00:00:00"| Measure-Object| Select Count, @{Name='Sender'; Expression={[String]::join(";", $Emailaddress)}}, @{Name='Identity'; Expression={[String]::join(";", $Name)}} | ConvertTo-Html| add-Content C:\temp\usermailout.html

I was also interested in doing something similar to view the number of mails received if this is at all possible?

You can do like this:

get-messagetrackinglog -Sender "<email address>" -Start "03/01/2012 00:00:00" -End "04/01/2012 00:00:00" -EventID RECEIVE| Measure-Object

This way you can view the number of user receive the emails.

If you have any other question this issue, I suggest you open a new thread in the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com 

Evan Liu

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi Evan,

I want to know the number of emails sent to my distribution group. How do I find out the count ?

Please advise

Thanks

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:15 PM