none
Lync Attendee vs Full Lync Client

Question

• Can someone tell me the difference between how the lync attendee and the full lync client connect?  If remote users join a conference with the full lync client all is well.  Everything works, audio, desktop sharing etc.  But if remote users try to join a conference using the attendee, they can join the conference but the lync audio will not connect, and desktop sharing will not work.  It tries to connect and fails.  It sounds like a port issue but if that were the case, then why would this work flawlessly for the full client?  Does the attendee use a different port range?  Very frustrating.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:46 PM

Answers

• A/V Traffic from outside allways connects directly to a specific EDGE and not to a HWLB that is why you cannot use any NAT for a HWLB based Lync deployment.  You need public IPs on HWLB and all EDGE Servers

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be - MCM/MVP/MCT

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:29 PM

All replies

• The Attendee client does not work when Proxy Servers are in use.

The Lync Client does work over Proxy Server

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be - MCM/MVP/MCT

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Thank you for the response but there are no proxy servers being used by remote users. 

Also, our set up is as follows, 2 edge servers with external IPs for each service, both edge servers behind a bigIP F5.  There is no natting involved at all as I have seen similiar posts where incorrect natting IPs in the topology was the culprit.  

• Edited by ms1977 Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Doing netmon traces I can see that that the attendee is making a connection over port 443 to the F5 sip access VIP which gets establish,and then I see it trying to make a connection to one of our edge servers av service IPs (public IP as well) over port 443.  But it can never make the connection, it never gets a response back.  The network monitor traces looks like this, 192.168.43.77 (assigned IP from home router) < -- > 206.83.12.34 (sip.domain.com) which establishes communication both ways, then it shows 192.168.43.77 trying to make a connection directly to one of the edge servers AV service IPs over port 443 but it cannot connect.  So it looks like port 443 needs to be opened from the outside coming into the av service public IP(behind and F5)?  Should the lync attendee be communicating directly with the edge server av service or it should it be getting routed back through the VIP?  If I install the full client (which works fine) and do the same test I only see port 443 traffic going and coming back from the F5 VIPs it never tries to talk directly to the to the av service IP of either edge server.
    • Edited by ms1977 Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:06 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Looks like our default gateway on our edge servers is set to the self IP of our F5 BigIP load balancer (which it should be per F5) so thats why the lync attendee cannot connect with the public IP of the av service on the edge servers.  But why does the lync attendee attemmpt to make that connection when the lync full client does not?
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

You'd better run the Lync server logging tool on the Edge server to get more logs about it.

You said you have no reverse proxy. How does the lync attendee client log in the Lync server?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sean Xiao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 15, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Hello Sean, thank you for your response.  We do have a TMG reverse proxy in place.  Johan said the attendee doesn't work when there are proxy servers in place.  I assumed he was referring to external users going through a proxy server to get internet access.  That's what I was referring to when I said there were no proxy servers in use.  But we do have a TMG reverse proxy in place.  Thanks.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 11:50 AM
  • A/V Traffic from outside allways connects directly to a specific EDGE and not to a HWLB that is why you cannot use any NAT for a HWLB based Lync deployment.  You need public IPs on HWLB and all EDGE Servers

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:29 PM