none
Cannot open Excel document by double clicking from Windows Explorer or from Outlook attachment

Question

• I have a problem with Excel 2007 Pro Plus running on Windows 7 Pro (64). When double clicking an Excel file from Windows Explorer or as an attachment in MS Outlook 2007, Excel launches but opens a blank worksheet. The only way to view the document is by opening Excel and browsing to the saved file.
    This PC is new, uninfected (Trend Worry Free AV client installed) and all MS critical updates and Service Packs are applied to Windows and Office 2007 Pro Plus. I have verified the file extensions are correctly associated with Microsoft Excel 2007, enabled/disabled all add-ins individually to test, and followed these steps mentioned in another thread:

Method 1: Enable the Ignore Other Applications that use DDE feature

===================

1.       Click the Office button an then click Excel Options. Excel displays the Excel Options dialog box.

2.       Click Advanced at the left side of the dialog box.

3.       In the General section, make sure the Ignore Other Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box is selected.

4.       Click on OK.

I've also repaired and reinstalled MS Office 2007 pro Plus (complete) and unfortunately nothing has corrected my problem.

I now ask the experts to PLEASE HELP.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Anyone have any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Hi,

•Try uncheck the Ignore Other Applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).

•If still not work, follow the below instructions:

From the Windows Start menu, choose Run and enter Excel.exe /regserver

This will cause Excel to start up, re-register all of its registry keys, then quit. Now, try opening your Excel files.

•Also you can try to create a new shortcut instead old one.

1.In Windows Explorer, go to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Shortcut bar\Office and delete the existing shortcut for Excel.

2.In Windows Explorer, go to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12. Then, right-click the EXCEL.exe icon and select Create Shortcut.

3.Right-click the shortcut icon and select Properties.

4.In the Shortcut tab, add a space, followed by the /e switch to the path in the Target box. For example, in Excel 2007, the entry in the Target box would be: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.exe" /e

5.Click OK.

Sincerely,
    Andrew

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Thank you Andrew. I will attempt your suggestions and reply with results.
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Andrew - unfortunately none of your suggestions worked. When I view the extensions in "manage file types..." the icons for xls and xlsx documents are lighter in color than the others. Double clicking a document of either type launches Excel however a blank document appears instead of the actual file. Do you have other suggestions?

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

Is the problem only with this specific Excel file?

As you can open Excel and browse to open this file, this issue might also be related to the file association.

Try to re-associate the file with Excel 2007:

=============

Right click the file, and choose “Properties”.

In the “General” tab, click the “Change” button. Here you will find a list of programs, choose the related Office program. If you don’t find it in the list, click the “browse” button and locate the Excel program.

Click to select the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” check box if it is not selected.

Click OK.

If the problem persists, please let me know if you can open the Excel file from other computers, such as from the original computer that the file was created.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestions Sally. I will attempt this tomorrow and post my results.
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Sorry. Your suggestions did not resolve the problem. These files open fine on other Win7 Pro (64) and XP Pro (32) PCs. Any other sugestions are appreciated.

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:23 PM
  • This problem was resolved by creating a new user profile and copying the data (docs, favs) from the old profile to the new, then deleteing the old profile. All's good now.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:43 PM