none
Starting Ink Tool in Word 2010

Question

• I have a laptop computer but no tablet or pen with it.  I was wondering if I can use the Starting Ink tool with my mouse to edit/grade documents.  (I am a teacher at a high school.)  I cannot figure out how to make the ink write on my Word document.  I  have it on the ribbon, but when I click on it with my mouse and then try to write on the document, it does nothing.  Do you have to have a pen or is there a way to write with the mouse?

Thanks,  Jill

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot work with Ink tools via the mouse, the feature disabled as default without tablet pc, see below image:

Click "File" > "Options" > "Customize Ribbon" > "Main Tabs" box > Review.

The improved inking feature in Word 2010 lets you make ink annotations on your document on your Tablet PC and save those ink annotations together with the document.

Use ink on a Tablet PC

You may use Text Effects, Text Highlight color, Change Styles as a workaround.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot work with Ink tools via the mouse, the feature disabled as default without tablet pc, see below image:

Click "File" > "Options" > "Customize Ribbon" > "Main Tabs" box > Review.

The improved inking feature in Word 2010 lets you make ink annotations on your document on your Tablet PC and save those ink annotations together with the document.

Use ink on a Tablet PC

You may use Text Effects, Text Highlight color, Change Styles as a workaround.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Hello:  I have a tablet PC, but have to connect to Word now with RDP.  Annotation is an important part of my job.  How can I annotate with my tablet PC, connected via RDP.   If this is yet another something else that has not been thought through by Microsoft, is there a third party tool you might suggest for this?
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:10 AM