none
Multiple resource assignments

Question

• I require two individuals to work on a 1 week long task simultaneously. They each have their own resource calenders showing holidays etc. I want Project to schedule the task by looking up the resource calender and scheduling the activity when they are both available in the same time slots.

Presently because the task has a start ASAP status Project will start the task as soon as just one of the resources become available however I need both to be available to work on the task.

This stuation applies to meetings when you require both particiapnts to attend at the same time or if you require an individual to use test equipment (both having their own resource calenders). They need to work together to complete the task. How can I get Project to schedule these tasks accordingly?

With thanks

Colin

Monday, February 25, 2013 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Colin,

I'm sorry to bring disappointing news - this is not built in to project.  Project schedules each resource to work on a task as soon as that resource's work calendar allows.  The best i can suggest is to create a task calendar that has the non-working time for both resources in it. Assign the task calendar and project will attempt to schedule the task during common working time between the task calendar and the resource calendars.

Julie

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

The only solution is as described on my website http://users.online.be/prom-ade

Click through to Microsoft Project: an abstract

In a nutshell: every resource has the same calendar, and absences are represented by immovable tasks; then do resource leveling with the option "Leveling can adjust individual assignments on a task" OFF.

That does automaically what you need.

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Colin,

I'm sorry to bring disappointing news - this is not built in to project.  Project schedules each resource to work on a task as soon as that resource's work calendar allows.  The best i can suggest is to create a task calendar that has the non-working time for both resources in it. Assign the task calendar and project will attempt to schedule the task during common working time between the task calendar and the resource calendars.

Julie

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt reply. It seems to me a fairly major failing in the scheduling engine that Microsoft have failed to address since the launch of Project back in the 1990's. Setting up a joint task calender would be a workaround but carries added complexity in managing the time calender fucnctions of Project. Many thanks for your reply, I live in hope that Microsoft one day will release an update to Project that overcomes its many shortcomings rather than providing us with trivial updates to the user interface functions.

Thanks Colin

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I assure you, this feature has been frequently at the top of the 'wish list' for many of us for years.  You are welcome for the information and thanks for the feedback.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

The only solution is as described on my website http://users.online.be/prom-ade

Click through to Microsoft Project: an abstract

In a nutshell: every resource has the same calendar, and absences are represented by immovable tasks; then do resource leveling with the option "Leveling can adjust individual assignments on a task" OFF.

That does automaically what you need.

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Jan, yes very helpful, a cunning workaround. It is a pity we too often need to employ work arounds to overcome some of the issues in Project. Have given your suggestion some quick trials and it looks to work well, many thanks, Colin
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:05 PM