none
People search result returns to Search page

    Question

  • Hi all,

    I've been searching for about a week now for a solution, but can't find any information on the internet about it. So hopefully someone here can me help me.

    I've setup SharePoint 2010 Enterprise with the User profile and Search service applications (and a couple more) configured. Next to that I've created a Enterprise Search page, which (after some problems) works. Content as well people are searched and found as they should (for instance search doesn't content when a user has no permissions to it).

    The problem is after the people search. Results are shown and when selecting a result (by just clicking his/her name), SharePoint returns to a empty Enterprise search page. It won't open the User profile, like it should.

    Hope someone can help me on this one. I've searched (the irony) my ... off and couldn't found anything.

    Many thanks in advance for your effort to read this.

    All the best,
    Quincy Thomas

    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Answers

  • Hi Ingo,

    First of all, thanks for your reply. I didn't get a notification from Microsoft that you replied to my thread. So I've kept searching and trying and fixed the problem the same day you left your reply.

    Dumb as I am, I just clicked some thing in Central Administration, but forgot to keep good documentation about it. But it could be one of below two things which solved my problem.

    1. In the User Profile service application (click Manage when selected in Central Administration) under Setup My Sites, I've changed the Preferred Search Center page and added the port to the URL (in my case :80 and it would look like http://sp2010.company.local:80/sites/search/Pages). Somewhere on the internet I found a article which said that all the URL must be the same. Meaning, all URL's should use the port number or all should not.
    2. Under the Site Collection Administration, in Search settings, I also changed the Site Collection Search Results Page. The Site Collection Search Center was set to http://sp2010.company.local/sites/search/Pages (port specifying is not necessary here) and the Site Collection Search Results Page was set to /sites/search/results.aspx. After changing this to /sites/search/PAGES/results.aspx I got it working.

    Although I solved the problem with the last change, I think the first one had something to do with also. After I solved this problem I ren into another one, namely all results were shown double. But a restart of the SharePoint server solved this.

    It is a great product (SharePoint), but some things I probably will never understand. I hope above can help someone else.

    All the best,
    Quincy Thomas

    • Marked as answer by Quincy Thomas Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:34 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:33 AM

All replies

  • Hi!

    Interesting! Did you setup MySites & a MySite host?

    Ingo

    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Hi Ingo,

    First of all, thanks for your reply. I didn't get a notification from Microsoft that you replied to my thread. So I've kept searching and trying and fixed the problem the same day you left your reply.

    Dumb as I am, I just clicked some thing in Central Administration, but forgot to keep good documentation about it. But it could be one of below two things which solved my problem.

    1. In the User Profile service application (click Manage when selected in Central Administration) under Setup My Sites, I've changed the Preferred Search Center page and added the port to the URL (in my case :80 and it would look like http://sp2010.company.local:80/sites/search/Pages). Somewhere on the internet I found a article which said that all the URL must be the same. Meaning, all URL's should use the port number or all should not.
    2. Under the Site Collection Administration, in Search settings, I also changed the Site Collection Search Results Page. The Site Collection Search Center was set to http://sp2010.company.local/sites/search/Pages (port specifying is not necessary here) and the Site Collection Search Results Page was set to /sites/search/results.aspx. After changing this to /sites/search/PAGES/results.aspx I got it working.

    Although I solved the problem with the last change, I think the first one had something to do with also. After I solved this problem I ren into another one, namely all results were shown double. But a restart of the SharePoint server solved this.

    It is a great product (SharePoint), but some things I probably will never understand. I hope above can help someone else.

    All the best,
    Quincy Thomas

    • Marked as answer by Quincy Thomas Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:34 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:33 AM