none
How to unhide hidden user folder within a doc library

Question

• Hi there

I found a strange problem with one MOSS library. A user copied a whole folder structure from a file share to a sharepoint library. So far, so good. But one folder within the library is marked as hidden and I cannot remove this flag. Previously the folder was called "_HR" and is now renamed as "HR" but this has not solved the problem.
    I can't see this folder either in windows explorer nor in the sharepoint "explorer view". But if I change the view in the library to "all documents" I can see the folder. Strange for me....

Any ideas to unhide this folder?

Kind regards
    Roger
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• Roger,

Unfortunately there is no way SharePoint can restrict this reserved naming if you use Explore View for copy operations. This is taken care if you are doing it using UI to create new folder.

Also not all name which has  _ is restricted Eg. it's only names which ends with _files

visible : my_folder
    Hidden : my_files

And in my case i tried to come over this situation using some tools but could not find anything... so i think its better off you copying it again instead of waiting on fix/solution to this issue..

Sameer Dhoot
    My Blog : http://sharemypoint.in
    • Marked as answer by Bytejaeger Monday, February 23, 2009 3:46 PM
    • Edited by Sameer Dhoot Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:30 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:40 PM

All replies

• Only way to get around would be to copy the folder to local disk then delete it from sharepoint. or copy again from the original source.

Upload with a name "HR". Do not use _ to start the name this will make it hidden. Also i have came across an issue if you have anyname_files in the name which also hides the folder.

Sameer Dhoot
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Hi Sameer

Thanks for the response. But every user can add a file with an underscore in the name or at the beginning of the name. Sharepoint does not prevent regular users to do this. So I think there should be a way to remove the hidden tag or to prevent users from using special character.

Because this subfolder is huge I hope there is another solution.....

kind regards
    Roger
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Roger,

Unfortunately there is no way SharePoint can restrict this reserved naming if you use Explore View for copy operations. This is taken care if you are doing it using UI to create new folder.

Also not all name which has  _ is restricted Eg. it's only names which ends with _files

visible : my_folder
    Hidden : my_files

And in my case i tried to come over this situation using some tools but could not find anything... so i think its better off you copying it again instead of waiting on fix/solution to this issue..

Sameer Dhoot
    • Marked as answer by Bytejaeger Monday, February 23, 2009 3:46 PM
    • Edited by Sameer Dhoot Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:30 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Ok, let's start copying......

regards
    Roger
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:46 PM