none
Keyboard layout changes randomly on Google Chrome (and possibly Firefox)

Question

• I have Chrome 2.0.172.27 installed on Windows 7 RC1 (32-bit). My OS Default input language is English (Canada) - US. The keyboard operates with a normal US layout for all applications,; however, I have noticed that it randomly switches to other keyboard layouts while in Chrome. 

For example:
    - Instead of the question mark I get É
    - At-sign: "
    - Pound symbol: /

This behaviour is inconsistent (for example, I'm using Chrome right now and the keyboard seems fine). Also, once I noticed that the keyboard behaviour appeared to impact Firefox as well. I have posted this issue in the Google Chrome forum, but the major change that I made recently was installing  Windows 7.

Has anybody experienced something similar with Chrome or any other application on Windows 7? Any thoughts about the cause?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:45 PM

All replies

• mine does the exact same thing.  it has switched to a french keyboard layout.  I can only confirm Chrome, not firefox.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:01 AM
  • I can confirm that something similar is happening on both of my installs - I only have Slovenian keyboard layout installed, but applications will randomly switch to US English layout (this happens with several applications).
    Monday, June 01, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Hm.

As you may be aware, Windows uses the key combination Alt+Shift to change the active input language. Google Chrome doesn't invoke this key combination, does it?

As far as I know, automatically changing the input language (e.g. in a text entry box) isn't part of any approved web platform.
    -Alex
    Monday, June 01, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I'm aware of the Alt+Shift combination, and I'm forced to use it to get my keyboard layout back - but this combination shouldn't do anything if there's only a single layout installed (one of the reasons why I always make sure that I don't have US layout installed is to prevent applications switching to it - unfortunately, it seems that even if it's not installed, some programs will switch to this layout on Windows 7 anyway, which is very annoying). And the switch happens without pressing Alt+Shift.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 6:38 AM