none
My Laptop Keyboard not working Properly

Question

• I have a M45-S2693 Satellite Toshiba Laptop and the keyboard just started to not work properly. When you hit a key different numbers and other letters pop up instead of what you typed in. What is causing this? Can this be Fixed?

Also can i fix this problem myself?

Help the Geek out!

• Moved by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:37 AM (From:Live Meeting General Discussion)
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:53 AM

Answers

• You can click Start>type osk in the search box and select osk from the results. This will give you an on-screen keyboard to use to trouble shoot.

Right-click the FLAG in the notification area and select Troubleshoot a problem and run the hardware troubleshooter.

Visit Toshiba support and apply any Windows 7 updates they have for the computer.

Did you change anything recently? Undo it if you did. Or select system restore to a point in time prior to the problem.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by several factors:

l   Keyboard is locked

l   Incompatible keyboard driver

l   Virus infected

To resolve this problem, I would like to suggest:

1.    It could be possible that you turn on the numeric keyboard, please press Fn + F11 combination keys to turn off numeric keyboard.

2.    Sometimes if the Alt key get stuck on the keyboard, the other keys might function abnormally. Please press Alt key and ensure it isn’t stuck.

3.    Update the security software and perform a full scan, see if the computer get virus infected.

4.    Based on my research, TOSHIBA doesn’t release Windows 7 compatible drivers for the type of your computer. There are only Windows XP drivers available. Thus your computer might not be compatible with Windows 7. Please contact TOSHIBA to confirm if any newer drivers released. As a work around, please install drivers in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Please note: we provide the third party link to download driver for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:02 AM

All replies

• You can click Start>type osk in the search box and select osk from the results. This will give you an on-screen keyboard to use to trouble shoot.

Right-click the FLAG in the notification area and select Troubleshoot a problem and run the hardware troubleshooter.

Visit Toshiba support and apply any Windows 7 updates they have for the computer.

Did you change anything recently? Undo it if you did. Or select system restore to a point in time prior to the problem.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by several factors:

l   Keyboard is locked

l   Incompatible keyboard driver

l   Virus infected

To resolve this problem, I would like to suggest:

1.    It could be possible that you turn on the numeric keyboard, please press Fn + F11 combination keys to turn off numeric keyboard.

2.    Sometimes if the Alt key get stuck on the keyboard, the other keys might function abnormally. Please press Alt key and ensure it isn’t stuck.

3.    Update the security software and perform a full scan, see if the computer get virus infected.

4.    Based on my research, TOSHIBA doesn’t release Windows 7 compatible drivers for the type of your computer. There are only Windows XP drivers available. Thus your computer might not be compatible with Windows 7. Please contact TOSHIBA to confirm if any newer drivers released. As a work around, please install drivers in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Please note: we provide the third party link to download driver for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:02 AM
  • i am having a problem getting my password setting on my computer
    • Proposed as answer by tropical01 Monday, March 28, 2011 6:59 PM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:58 PM
  • so the number one advice for a non functioning keyboard is to type specific letters on it to open an onscreen keyboard, well thought out answer.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:34 PM