none
Tablet PC Compatibility - RTABB12D \ Tatung \ Electrovaya

Question

• I have recently upgraded one of our Tablet PCs and I've discovered the following:

- upgrading from XP to Vista work well; only 3 hardware driver issues which are easily rectified - sound, wireless, and rotate screen button driver. Fingerprint reader driver doesn't install, but we can live with that.

- upgrading from Vista to Windows 7; screen rotate button doesn't work, very poor sound and graphics driver won't install. Fingerprint reader driver works.

Under Vista the performance of the slate tablet pc is surprisingly good. Under Windows 7 it is poor, because you cannot load or find a better graphics driver from Intel's website. Is it possible to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, but keeping the Vista graphics driver (labelled MS XDDM), etc..?

I have collected the system logs for each install and we are keen to upgrade to Windows 7. Happy to to supply more information.

Regards,
    Mac
    P.S. We've installed Windows 7 on its own and the same issues occur.

Monday, January 04, 2010 8:48 PM

All replies

• You did run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor didn't you, that should have identified any hardware/software issues. After looking at multiple Tatung web sites, that has got to be the WORST support I've ever seen for that tablet. That machine will not support Windows 7 (that much I could tell) or at the least, you will have problems with it if you try. But knock your socks off ;)  You guys did beef up the ram and the hard drive? Not much you can do for the video.  (and I thought Motion was bad) :)
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:21 AM
  • :-) Yes, I've covered off all the basics; upgrade advisor - reported compatibility for Windows 7, with one exception the finger print reader software); memory already upgraded (1GB SODIMM PC2700). ;-) 

The state of the Tatung web site is APPALLING for drivers, just finding XP or BIOS updates was a nightmare when we first bought them. Although, in their defence I think they are geared towards licensing their products to 3rd party suppliers.

However, that said, I believe Microsoft has all of the relevant drivers, just not in the right release configuration for this unit, under Windows 7. :-(

If there is a fix to the drivers issue, I'm sure other other owners would be able to benefit from Windows 7. :-) 

Hopefully, someone from Microsoft might see this as an opportunity or someone has already solved this one. :D

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:33 PM
  • Problem is though, Microsoft doesn't do anything for drivers, they get the vendors to send them drivers to be included on their releases, otherwise we wait on the vendor to eventually put them on their sites (like Dell, HP etc)  Well good luck and don't let the BSOD bite ya too hard ;)
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I take your point. However, the graphics driver utilised under Vista was apparently written by Microsoft, according to the details listed in device manager.

I suppose another way to as look at this, is there anyway to extract the Vista Graphics driver and associated files to get it to work under Windows 7?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:23 PM
  • "I suppose another way to as look at this, is there anyway to extract the Vista Graphics driver and associated files to get it to work under Windows 7?"

It's been done on a Fujitsu tablet before but it's not easy to do.  It's a series of extracting the right files and modifying the installation inf files to point to the files regardless of the hardware identifiers.  Not something for the layman to do.

As for Microsoft being on the hook, I'd agree that it's not their issue.  Unfortunately, Intel is not doing so good at updating old hardware with new drivers.  Indeed, on my Fujitsu ST5112, the latest Intel driver (and the one provided by Windows Update) did nothing but suck up CPU for no reason and I had to magically revert to an earlier driver to get the tablet to work right in W7.  However, I was able to accomplish it nonetheless without too much finagling.  I just have to make sure not to update it ever again though I do see Windows Update now reporting a new new one!  Should I?  Doubt it!

As for the OP, this is an exercise in trial and error.  It's what you have to do on old hardware.  It's never guaranteed to work with a new OS.  It is what it is.  Sometimes you just have to stay with what works and, if that means Vista (and you've indicated it works well) then you might just have to stay there.

That's what I do.

Good luck!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Hello,

sorry to resurrect this thread almost a year later, but I have a RM Tablet PC Model RTAB912-T01 (Mainboard is Tatung RTABB12D) and I am struggling to find out the best possible RAM upgrade. You sound like someone who can probably put me out of my misery!

The RM website tells me that the maximum RAM allowed is 512MB DDR PC2700 SODIMM.

But there are a few references  - including yours - which state that 1Gb is compatible.

Is it that RM do something to the tablet to limit the RAM options that Tatung provide?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:56 PM