none
Windows 7 Upgrade advisor not working

Answers

• Problem solved! Many thanks to Pierre-Louis Coll, Microsoft France.

I uninstalled McAfee VirusScan some months ago, replacing it by Avira AntiVir. The problem come from a bad McAfee uninstall.
    Start regedit.exe, and look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
    If you still have a reference to scriptcl.dll, this is bad, since you no more have this McAfee's file on your machine! Instead, you should have a reference to jscript.dll.

Now the solution :
    -start cmd.exe as administrator
    -type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll"

And that's all, now the "Start check" pushbutton of the Advisor should work!
    Thanks again to Pierre-Louis!!!!

• Marked as answer by zeff62 Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:56 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi

We have seen a relative low number of systems where the Upgrade Advisor refuses to start. The most common reason is that it is not being started in an elevated (Run as Administrator) state.

If the upgrade advisor doesn't work, after performing all of the procedures in that other thread, the only thing I can suggest is that you manually check that system for compatibility.

First, go to your computer makers website and check for compatibility/support for Windows 7 on that system. Check for any updated chipset/BIOS/hardware drivers for the system.

Go to the following website: Windows 7 Compatibility Center

You will see a Software and Hardware tab that you can use to locate the product you wish to check for compatibility.

Select the Compatibility FAQ that will explain how to use the compatibility website.

If you find an installed software/hardware item that does not appear on the compatibility list, go to the website of the maker of that product and check for any updates.

Be especially thorough about checking the installed anitvirus, antispyware, and any third party system backup programs.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, November 02, 2009 9:20 AM
  • The Upgrade Advisor starts, but does nothing when we click on its "Start check" pushbutton.
    Yes, I have tried all the procedures in the other thread, including run as administrator.

On the computer maker website, unfortunately the number of machines considered by Dell as compatible with Windows 7 are incredibly low:
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dsn/fr/document?c=fr&docid=360683&l=fr&s=gen (French list)

Most of the Dell machines (including mine, only one year old!), are NOT in their compatibility list: I hope for Microsoft that a lot of other Dell machines (including mine again...) are Windows 7 compatible!
    In my case, I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 1720, with Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2.
    I hope that Dell is wrong, and that Windows 7 will run on my one year old laptop... But how I can be sure, without your tool?

Monday, November 02, 2009 10:04 AM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem with a year old Acer 8920G notebook. I've tried all the suggestions without luck - no error messages - nothing in the event log. Likewise, my PC is not on the Acer compatibility list, so starting to think some manufacturers decided their pcs were not going to be upgradable.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Problem solved! Many thanks to Pierre-Louis Coll, Microsoft France.

I uninstalled McAfee VirusScan some months ago, replacing it by Avira AntiVir. The problem come from a bad McAfee uninstall.
    Start regedit.exe, and look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
    If you still have a reference to scriptcl.dll, this is bad, since you no more have this McAfee's file on your machine! Instead, you should have a reference to jscript.dll.

Now the solution :
    -start cmd.exe as administrator
    -type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll"

And that's all, now the "Start check" pushbutton of the Advisor should work!
    Thanks again to Pierre-Louis!!!!

• Marked as answer by zeff62 Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:56 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Hello,

I maybe off the topic here somewhat ( soory) but I am having a problem locating active upgrade.
    I do as suggested
    Start --> search for active upgrade
    And my system does not find anything.
    I am running w0ndows 7 Professional and trying to update to ultimate...
    Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I'm having the same issue and none of the above work - including the recommendation from Pierre-Louis above.  Any other ideas?  Geeze, if a small program like the advisor doesn't work, my hopes for 7 go way down :(
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for providing the solution. This solved my issue!
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:17 AM
  • This worked perfectly!! thanks for the suggestion
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:24 PM
  • This does not correct the issue for my system.

Any other solutions from MS?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Like zeff62, I am unable to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.  I also uninstalled McAfee and installed Vipre instead.

I followed the directions above and found that when I looked in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32  I have a reference to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll

Of course, there is no such file. 

Can someone tell me what I should change this to, given that I an running Vipre?

Thanks!

Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:53 AM
  • BINGO!  Thanks zeff62!  It was an old McAfee dll preventing Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from launching.  Now I'm crossing my fingers to see if the rest of the process will work.

THANK YOU!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Found it in the regedit.exe with the scriptcl.dll reference. However, cmd.exe did not work out for me, so I changed it by going to the "change" option with a left mouse click on the "standard" file and changed the pathway to c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll. Now the advisor works. DAMN YOU MCAFEE!!!
    Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:01 PM
  • It's late...but what ever ( date )

This worked for me:

Go to DOS mode by right clicking on the cmd icon in acessories - and choose Run as administrator

Write: net user administrator /active:yes - enter

restart windows - and choose Administrator when logging in

install update advisor - and start it - worked for me :-)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:56 AM