none
Windows 7 and PCI graphics cards

Question

• I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 that only has PCI slots. I have an ATI Radeon 9250 and it works for a while with Windows 7, but causes large amounts of fatal errors after a while. I am having to use XP drivers because, as far as I know, there are no Vista drivers for this card. I did try Vista drivers for the 9200 series, but that didn't work. In the meantime,  I have been shopping for a new graphics card, but I can't find one that uses PCI and is still compatible with 7. Any suggestions?

I was looking at a Radeon x1550 and a HD 2400 Pro, but I can't find a PCI version of either anywhere. My local Best Buy carries a GeForce 8400 GS PCI. Will that work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will only need this computer for 2 more years, until I leave for college, so I am not interested in a really expensive card or a whole new system.

Also, PCI cards also support multiple displays.
    • Edited by Randman2011 Saturday, August 01, 2009 4:31 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:06 PM

Answers

• I know of no reason why an 8400GS wouldn't work, but I've never used one.

You might want to check what's available at www.newegg.com. (I have no connection with them, other than being a sometime customer.) Try the power search under video cards: choose the PCI interface, and DirectX 10 and 10.1 cards. (Newer DX9 cards support the shaders needed to run Aero Glass, but Newegg hasn't provided a filter for that.) BestBuy sometimes has reasonable prices on PC components, but sometimes they are much higher than mail order (even considering shipping).

What model Dell do you have? I'm a little surprised that it doesn't at least have an AGP slot. (I suppose that it has onboard video, with no available graphics slot.) If it's that old, it may not be a good idea to invest significant funds into it.

(So says the guy who just bought an external USB floppy drive locally for $40 so he could update the BIOS on a notebook PC that was made in 2002. It couldn't boot from a USB flash drive, unfortunately.)

Monday, July 27, 2009 4:29 AM

All replies

• I know of no reason why an 8400GS wouldn't work, but I've never used one.

You might want to check what's available at www.newegg.com. (I have no connection with them, other than being a sometime customer.) Try the power search under video cards: choose the PCI interface, and DirectX 10 and 10.1 cards. (Newer DX9 cards support the shaders needed to run Aero Glass, but Newegg hasn't provided a filter for that.) BestBuy sometimes has reasonable prices on PC components, but sometimes they are much higher than mail order (even considering shipping).

What model Dell do you have? I'm a little surprised that it doesn't at least have an AGP slot. (I suppose that it has onboard video, with no available graphics slot.) If it's that old, it may not be a good idea to invest significant funds into it.

(So says the guy who just bought an external USB floppy drive locally for $40 so he could update the BIOS on a notebook PC that was made in 2002. It couldn't boot from a USB flash drive, unfortunately.)

Monday, July 27, 2009 4:29 AM
  • the 8400 will not work because its a pci-express. im sure your dell only has the regular pci slot.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:33 PM
  • the 8400 will not work because its a pci-express. im sure your dell only has the regular pci slot.

Sorry, no.

The 8400GS is available with either PCI or PCI-E interfaces. Here's a PCI example:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=512-P1-N724-LR&family=GeForce 8 Series Family&sw=

Try reading the thread again. Randman2011 asked after a PCI card (definitely not PCI-E). I suggested an online vendor who may sell them more cheaply than BestBuy.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:11 AM
  • The Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 also works with windows 7. You have to manually install the driver  but it does work.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:13 PM