none
System Restore AND Restore Factory Settings FAILS!!! Whats can I do now!?

Question

• I have an Acer Aspire 9300, running Vista SP1 - I left my laptop with my cousins to use, I was told it crashed! They said they added a 3g usb device when it happened so I told them I will try to fix it.

When I got it back, I noticed it was installing updates and was on the 3 of 3 update, shutdown loop and I was unable to get to any kind of screen so I figured they had turned it off during updates so I decided to try system restore (it said no restore points were created?!) that didnt work, so I did Restore to factory settings, by holding ALT and tapping F10. I was so happy as that worked, a clean slate. 

I decided to turn off auto updates as there were soooo many of them and I didnt know which ones I really needed - my laptop is an antique by todays standards with little memory and I was afraid it would clog it up.  I did update it to sp1 and hoped that they somehow they would have come up with a program that would have new updates for all my windows programs - but it seems not.

Now I am typing this, using said laptop in safe mode with networking.  Nothing works, I cannot system restore, I cannot restore factory settings - it said something about being unable to load the file - I tried to downlaod maleware program in case of virus, but cannot do this in safe mode, I cannot delete software or programs in safe mode ... oh and I have no discs as everything was preinstalled!

I contacted Acer and they told me for $70 fee they will have it picked up and looked at but I will have to pay extra for any repairs >:( probably more than what the laptop is worth, I think.

What can I do now?!?! Thanks in advance :D

(ps I may have posted this in the wrong forum?)

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:11 PM

Answers

• Well upon running virus scan (didnt even start up) and running windows defender (nothing found) in safe mode, my laptop completely froze up.  I could not even start it in safe mode anymore - so I would not recommend running virus scan in safe mode if there is a suspected virus, unless you dont mind wiping all preinstalled programs and finding them yourself..if you have access to the main OS discs.

I am sure the virus was designed to detect it and it killed my laptop.

My only option was to reinstall the OS using my husbands old discs, which meant that I had to find all the drivers needed myself and install everything.

In a way it is a good thing, as I now have basic programs needed to run it without programs and software that I didnt really need, but was afraid to uninstall in case I messed something up.

:P
    • Marked as answer by silverfever Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:29 PM

All replies

• You said, "it said something about being unable to load the file"   We can better help you if you can give us the exact message.

Try turning Updates back on to see what happens.

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply :)

Ok I restarted laptop a few ways to write down error messages:

•Start windows normally -

Takes ages to load and when it does a white box that says "Please Wait..." appears, then Blue Screen! 

Technical Info: ***STOP : 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x81e3215e, 0x803e882c, 0x00000000)

•Launch Start-up Repair:

Takes me to login screen, I clicked on the only option "Other User", tried my screen name and password to which it says "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

•Safe Mode:

I can login fine, I can go online - but some screens do not load, I guess due to limited programs I can use.

I cannot load Windows Update program, any diagnostic tools or anything to figure out what the cause as it is in safe mode.

•Restore to Facory Settings:

Upon holding ALT and tapping F10, (which I have done maybe twice before on the same laptop) it tries to load "Acer eRecovery Management Environment", it gets to a black screen that says

"FILE\MININT\system32\KDCOM.DLL could not be loaded.

The error code is 4.

Setup cannot continue.  Press any key to exit.

When I contacted Acer, I asked them what error code 4 is and they told me it might be hardware or software problems (no, really?! I kinda guessed!) and to send it into them.

But Id rather try fix it myself as the laptop isnt worth spending a bunch of money on repairs, so if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated :)

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:02 PM
  • This is a virus, you have to run your virus program in safe mode.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Please update your BIOS first.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Well upon running virus scan (didnt even start up) and running windows defender (nothing found) in safe mode, my laptop completely froze up.  I could not even start it in safe mode anymore - so I would not recommend running virus scan in safe mode if there is a suspected virus, unless you dont mind wiping all preinstalled programs and finding them yourself..if you have access to the main OS discs.

I am sure the virus was designed to detect it and it killed my laptop.

My only option was to reinstall the OS using my husbands old discs, which meant that I had to find all the drivers needed myself and install everything.

In a way it is a good thing, as I now have basic programs needed to run it without programs and software that I didnt really need, but was afraid to uninstall in case I messed something up.

• Marked as answer by silverfever Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Should I have done that before running virus scan?  If so, I wish I read this before I ran it, but never mind....laptop is up and runing again :)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:31 PM
  • i have the same problem using ALT-F10 (error code 4)... is there a way of fixing this and tryn to restore to factory agian?
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Someone brought in an Acer Aspire 5610 without any CDs/DVDs. He asked for the software to be returned to factory condition.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 had been trashed by trojans and a rootkit virus. It wouldn't load even in safe mode and produced a fast BSD (Blue Screen of Death) at every attempt.

Some Acers have factory restore options in the BIOS settings. Check these are set correctly.

Booting to the recovery partition by holding down Alt and pressing F10 at one second intervals at startup resulted in the message:

File \minint\System32\kdcom.dll could not be loaded. The error code is 4. Setup cannot continue.

I booted from an XP CD and used 'Recovery Console' with 'chkdsk c: /p' to check the file and folder structure. This showed no errors. A full sector check of the hard disk showed no hard disk hardware faults.

I took the hard disk out of the Acer and connected it to another laptop via a IDE-USB gadget.

A deep Kaspersky anti-virus scan removed the malware and the rootkit virus.

All important data was then copied to another drive.

The hard disk was then re-assembled into the Acer Aspire laptop.

Booting the system still resulted in the BSD, and the recovery partition still didn't respond.

I found the trick was to use the Partition Magic 8 boot CD to change the active partition to PQSERVICE, the others being ACER and ACERDATA. On reboot with no CD/DVD in the drive you get a screen allowing you to run the factory re-installation software properly. The re-install took less than 10 minutes. It was then necessary to change the active partition back to ACER to allow the fresh Windows to load normally.

From then on all was updates and plain sailing.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:22 PM