none
Windows XP mode crashes when accessing Windows 7 drive

Question

• I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I also run Windows XP mode occasionally on this system. I didn't think anything had changed in the XP mode setup, but now today when I try to access the C: drive on my Windows 7 system from XP (which is labelled in Windows Explorer as "C on SYSTEM-NAME") XP mode crashes, restarts, and gives me a chance to send the error log to Microsoft. I can access the XP C: drive fine.

I went through netsetup in XP to give the XP system a different name than my Windows 7 system name (although it was already different). Nothing changed.

I disabled my avast antivirus protection on the XP system, but that didn't change anything.

Do I need to do something in the Windows 7 system to allow XP access to the Windows 7 drives?

This system was brand new last summer, and I set up the XP mode at that time. I'm sure I was able to access the Windows 7 drives from within XP for months. I don't know what has changed to create this problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

• I believe I am finished setting up a new XP virtual machine on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system. This time I installed AVG Free Antivirus (instead of Avast), and so far I've had no problems. I've spent several days going through many cycles of Windows Update to get all my software up to date once again, with many reboots in between, and I've not had any problems with crashing at all, including when I access a drive on my Windows 7 system.
    • Marked as answer by DRMacy55 Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:27 PM

All replies

• I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I also run Windows XP mode occasionally on this system. I didn't think anything had changed in the XP mode setup, but now today when I try to access the C: drive on my Windows 7 system from XP (which is labelled in Windows Explorer as "C on SYSTEM-NAME") XP mode crashes, restarts, and gives me a chance to send the error log to Microsoft. I can access the XP C: drive fine.

I went through netsetup in XP to give the XP system a different name than my Windows 7 system name (although it was already different). Nothing changed.

I disabled my avast antivirus protection on the XP system, but that didn't change anything.

Do I need to do something in the Windows 7 system to allow XP access to the Windows 7 drives?

This system was brand new last summer, and I set up the XP mode at that time. I'm sure I was able to access the Windows 7 drives from within XP for months. I don't know what has changed to create this problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
    I have the same problem. Can someone in Microsoft answer this question?
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi both,

Could you let us know the exact error message when your XP Mode crashes?

Meanwhile, please check your XP Mode’s integration feature setting:

1.        Open Windows XP Mode->Tools->settings;
    2.        In Windows Virtual PC settings, select “integration features” and choose all drive in the right pane, then click OK;
    3.        Go to Windows XP Mode->tools, disable integration features and enable again.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Friday, April 05, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Hi both,

Could you let us know the exact error message when your XP Mode crashes?

Meanwhile, please check your XP Mode’s integration feature setting:

1.        Open Windows XP Mode->Tools->settings;
    2.        In Windows Virtual PC settings, select “integration features” and choose all drive in the right pane, then click OK;
    3.        Go to Windows XP Mode->tools, disable integration features and enable again.

Best regards,

Karen Hu

I recently started having this problem as well. Never had any trouble copying files from host system. Today it BSODs the virtual machine the instant I click the "C drive on <host>" (or D drive) One thing I tried included opening a windows explorer window with the drives turned off in integration features, hibernating, turning them back on, relaunch. That time I didn't have to click, it crashed as soon as it refreshed the explorer window after coming out of hibernate. I only use XPmode to vpn into another site, so there is nothing much installed on it, and the only changes to the system are windows updates.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Same problem here. Win7 Pro 64-bit with XP mode. Just installed and worked fine until I installed Windows Updates. From then on no access to the Win7 drives --> crashes immediately when trying to access them.

Just discovered that copy past into the vm also crashes the vm - maybe an issue with the integration components? uninstalling and reinstalling them again did not solve the issue though

Sending the error report to MS also does not work. It says its corrupted:

"Unfortunately, the error report you submitted is corrupted and can't be analyzed. Corrupted error reports are rare. They can be caused by hardware or software problems, and usually indicate a serious problem with your computer."

System Log shows

"Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 f415e1a8, parameter4 f415dea4."

Uninstalling the only program I installed on the VM, Avast Antivirus, solved the issue
    • Edited by Christian_Kn Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Christian_Kn Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:12 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:01 PM
  • I also was using avast. I completely uninstalled Windows XP Mode and Virtual Machines, and then reinstalled them both and started a new Windows XP Mode virtual machine. After reinstalling my software, including avast, I encountered the problem again just trying to move some shortcuts in Windows Explorer.

So now I've uninstalled XP Mode and Virtual Machines again, reinstalled, and this time I'm using AVG for antivirus. I haven't finished the updating and reinstalling process yet, but I hope it will work this time.

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:21 PM
  • There is no error message. The XP mode reboots/crashes when click on the Windows 7 shared drive in the XP mode machine.

The integrated features setting had been done multiple times before I came here asking for help. Not only can I not able to access the shared drive, I can not even copy, cut and paste in XP mode. When I right click on a file and click Copy, XP mode reboots.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:42 AM
  • I believe I am finished setting up a new XP virtual machine on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system. This time I installed AVG Free Antivirus (instead of Avast), and so far I've had no problems. I've spent several days going through many cycles of Windows Update to get all my software up to date once again, with many reboots in between, and I've not had any problems with crashing at all, including when I access a drive on my Windows 7 system.
    • Marked as answer by DRMacy55 Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Same here, 7 Pro 64-bit, and I also use avast.  After I install the XP Mode, e-thing works fine.  After I go back to it, few days after, virtually anything I try to do generates a restart.  I spent now far more time reinstalling the Mode than using it.  If I disable the Integration Features, things are fine but I cannot do anything useful then.  A complete nightmare!  I will try AVG after the next reinstallation, but am not sure why that should matter.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:24 PM
  • Same issue : If I open Windows Explorer, my XP Mode vm crashes as soon as I click on C: drive for instance.

The only way I found to solve the problem : Uninstall AVAST + Restart the XP vm.

Now, it works fine.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:06 PM