none
Copying Prohibited on Windows 7 Media Center

Question

• Hi, I am a complete newbie so please bear with me.

I have a Dell XPS 420 htpc which has:

a Intel Q9400 2.66 quad core processor
    8.00 gb of RAM
    500 gb HDD (and plenty of 1tb externals)
    an a ATI 3870 Radeon HD graphics card

for tuners it has
    ATI All in Wonder Digital Cable Card 
    and the Hauppauge HD PVR with set top box from my cable company

My question/problem is:

Recently I had to reinstall windows 7 professional edition 64 bit  because my restore points got corrupted and I got a BSOD loop that prevented me from accessing the desktop

Upon reinstall (clean reinstall) I noticed that several recordings from premium channels created in 7MCE on the cablecard tuner would not play on my htpc in media center after the reinstall. 

I would get this error "Copying prohibited", although there have been no hardware changes on the htpc. Further my tv package includes premium channels like HBO, Starz, Encore, and Showtime. My cablecard was installed back in 2007 by my cable company. This is the first time I have ever had a problem of this nature.

I also have an Xbox 360 set up as a MCE extender. The recordings are similarly unaccessible in there.

If someone could please explain to me what the error is and the solution, I would greatly appreciate it. This affects many (more than 15) recordings.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:37 PM

All replies

• A clean reinstall voids the DRM for OCUR recordings and they won't play, as you
    discovered.

There isn't a way to clean install and fix this issue.

I noticed you've had the cable card since 2007. Did you upgrade over Vista x64
    and do you have ANY full pc backup from Vista that you can install, check
    playback and then upgrade to W7? If it was 32 bit Vista, you can't upgrade.

If you can't do this then you've lost those recordings.

If this is the sad scenario, after you set up the DRM with the Digital Cable
    tool on the clean install, do a system image backup of the PC so that you always
    have an image to go back to with the DRM bits set up.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com
    Monday, February 22, 2010 11:09 AM
  • You know, it's entirely within Microsoft's purview to use the older MCE technology to reconstruct the old DRM data on the computer, and then upgrade/re-install it for the new Win 7 OS clean install. And it's not rocket science either.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:05 AM
  • You are responding to a post that is a year old. And I really personally dislike
    this locked down DRM.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 02:05:40 +0000, mschifter wrote:

>You know, it's entirely within Microsoft's purview to use the older MCE technology to reconstruct the old DRM data on the computer, and then upgrade/re-install it for the new Win 7 OS clean install. And it's not rocket science either.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:15 AM