none
setting up a network connection between windows 7 host and windows xp client using Virtual pc

Question

• Hi, I’m a beginner in networking, so I might not explain my situation very well..

I’m trying desperately to establish a network connection between a real computer and a virtual one.. (all on my laptop)
    and the main purpose of this network is to make two programs coded in Python talking to each other through the network

The virtual program that I’m using is (Virtual PC 2007)
    The (host) is running on Windows7 Home Premium
    The client (the virtual computer) is running on Windows XP SP3

After hundreds attempts to find tutorials explaining the setup of network connection between these computers, I found one article and the steps went ok, but the result wasn’t!!

This is the article:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-a-Network-Between-Host-PC-and-Guest-PC-in-Virtual-PC-2007-Using-Loopback-Adapter

After I tried the ping command (this term was very new to me), I think it shows me that there was no successful connection between the computers because it says that the sent packets from the host to the client was Zero..

Ping for Client:

Ping for Host:

I’m not sure if I’ve applied the Step 3.2 in the article correctly because I didn’t know where to find the Settings and in which computer (host or client??) should I look for it!!

If you have another clear steps, please please guide me with..
    Or maybe you can tell me what was my mistake?

Thank you,

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:41 PM

Answers

• A quick look says routing.  Unless your using a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask (instead of the standard 255.255.255.0 for 192.168.x.x subnets) or have a router you're not going to be able to ping between a 192.168.1 and 192.168.0 subnet

Why do you need a loopback adapter? The only reason you'd need to do this is if your not connected to any networks.

If your host PC is connected to a network, all you need to do is start the VM.  The default networking option for VPC2007 uses the host NIC and would put your virtual machine on the same network as your host PC.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• A quick look says routing.  Unless your using a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask (instead of the standard 255.255.255.0 for 192.168.x.x subnets) or have a router you're not going to be able to ping between a 192.168.1 and 192.168.0 subnet

Why do you need a loopback adapter? The only reason you'd need to do this is if your not connected to any networks.

If your host PC is connected to a network, all you need to do is start the VM.  The default networking option for VPC2007 uses the host NIC and would put your virtual machine on the same network as your host PC.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

This is what works on me.

I have host laptop with Win 7. My Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is Window XP.

My host having Wifi as a network.

Ipconfig on my host giving:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

On my Virtual PC Setting, I set it to Networking=Shared networking (NAT).

Inside the Virtual PC, I set the the Local Area Connection to Obtain IP address automatically.

Then I query ping 192.168.1.100 from inside the Virtual PC, it responds as:

C:\Documents and Settings\virtualPC>ping 192.168.1.100

Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.131.65: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.131.65: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.100:
        Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

After I setting my host to be 192.168.131.65 (in /etc/hosts of the Virtual PC), I can utilise it as normal computer including the internet connection too.

Thanks. 

25 minutes ago