none
How to Remove Broken Recorded TV Show?

Question

• A file in Media Center (Windows 7 Premium, 32-bit) under Recorded TV appears to be corrupt. It was recorded on 12 January of 2012.

I can select the "delete" item, but it will not remove. No error messages, either. It also will not play.

Also, the file does not appear in our "Recorded TV" folder. The "Recorded TV" folder has a hidden folder called "TempRec" and this contains another folder called "TempSBE" - but all of the files in these folders are from this month (June of 2012).

I did a text search in the registry for the file by the show name and by the episode name, but both came up negative.

How can I delete this old file?

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:40 PM

Answers

• So, it took a few months to figure out how to delete this, but I was able to do it with the help of JohnW248, a Charter Member over at The Green Button in [[ THIS ]] post.

I don't know if this will work or not, but since the show is less than a  minute, it probably is just a data entry. If your Recorded TV folder is in the default position, it really can't be deleted. However if you have another drive (it has to be on this machine and can be a USB drive, FW, eSata but not NAS) you can do this: Go to settings, TV and Recorder, Change the location to your new Drive. Windows will create a Recorded TV folder there along with the Temp Rec and other hidden files and set sharing and ownerships rights. Now you have a valid Recorded TV folder you can try and delete the other Recorded TV folder. Record something in the new folder first and make sure it is working and has a recorded TV show (in fact do a couple) close Media Center, reboot the machine and then open Media Center and try delete again on the Big Bang Theory. I've had stubs before and once (I think it was Vista) I had to move all the recordings from a folder before I could then remove the Recorded TV on that drive from Media Center and delete it and then recreate a Recorded TV folder and move the good shows back.

Others may have the location of the data base recorded tv location that you could delete (with Media Center closed) reboot and restart Media Center and it will create a new xml file. I think its in windows/ehome but I'm not sure of the exact file name.

John

Thanks to JohnW248.

~Joe

• Marked as answer by jp2code Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• A few things, can you reboot the computer into safe mode and immediately try to
    delete the file (without starting media Center)? does that work? If not - try
    renaming the file first to something like delete.wtv - can you rename it? can
    you delete it then?

another thing you can try is to copy any *.txt file into the Recorded TV
    directory and then select BOTH and delete them together.

if the above does not work, please reply and we can try a few more steps.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:40:54 +0000, jp2code wrote:

>
    >
    >A file in Media Center (Windows 7 Premium, 32-bit) under Recorded TV appears to be corrupt. It was recorded on 12 January of 2012.
    >
    >I can select the "delete" item, but it will not remove. No error messages, either. It also will not play.
    >
    >Also, the file does not appear in our "Recorded TV" folder. The "Recorded TV" folder has a hidden folder called "TempRec" and this contains another folder called "TempSBE" - but all of the files in these folders are from this month (June of 2012).
    >
    >I did a text search in the registry for the file by the show name and by the episode name, but both came up negative.
    >
    >How can I delete this old file?
    >
    >
    >~Joe
    >Avoid Sears Home Improvement

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:46 AM
  • I can not even LOCATE the file on my hard drive. It does not appear ANYWHERE unless I am in Media Center.

I think that rules out all of your ideas.

That was mentioned in this part:

>Also, the file does not appear in our "Recorded TV" folder. The "Recorded TV" folder has a hidden folder called "TempRec" and this contains another folder called "TempSBE" - but all of the files in these folders are from this month (June of 2012).

In other words, this file does not appear in any of those hidden folders either. It ONLY displays in Media Center from the Recorded TV menu.

~Joe

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

We may try to remove the whole recorded TV via the below steps. Please backup the important recorded TV first.

1. Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Center.

2. On the Windows Media Center start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click Settings.

3. Click Media Libraries.

4. Click the type of media that you want to remove (Recorded TV), and then click next.

5. Click Remove folders to the library, and then click next.

6. Depending on where your media files are stored, click one of the options under where are the folders you want to add? And then click next.

7. Navigate to the folders that you want to add by clicking the Plus or minus buttons, and then select the check box next to each folder. (Files in subfolders will be included in your selection.)

8. When you've selected all the folders that you want Media Center to monitor, click next, click yes, use these locations, and then click Finish.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Kim,

I followed the steps outlined in your technique.

After copying my recorded TV shows to a different folder, I removed the folder from Recorded TV.

Next, I pointed the Recorded TV location to a completely different drive.

Something about Microsoft's Digital Rights caused it to actually delete all of the recorded TV shows that I moved to a temporary folder. It even deleted the folder. Have you every actually tried this technique that you suggested?

When it was all said and done, I have this:

Big Bang is still there, but now all of my recorded tv shows are gone.

Kindly don't suggest ideas again that are going to move me backwards.

~Joe

Sunday, July 01, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Do you also see the troublesome file in the Recorded TV section of Windows Media Player's library?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Sunday, July 01, 2012 4:53 PM
  • From within Media Center's interface, the Recorded TV shows the file that will not play and does not delete.

From Windows Explorer (after turning on Show Hidden Files), I see some things but I do not know what they are.

My wife is watching a show right now, so I have to access this from across the network. Here are some screenshots. You can see that the folders and files were all just created today because I deleted them all earlier this morning.

The files shown below can be deleted, I can close the folder and open it back up and the files will be back.

~Joe

Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Thanks for the additional info, but I was specifically asking to check in Windows Media *Player*, not Media Center or Explorer.

Tim De Baets

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Ah! Well, I'd never actually had Windows Media Player opened on the Media PC before, so I just ran it and accepted the recommended settings.

As you can see, the only things showing there are the two news shows that have just been recorded.

~Joe

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:09 PM
  • I was hoping to see the troublesome file in WMP's library as well but that doesn't seem to be the case. Nevertheless, I still suggest that you try resetting WMP's media library as that library is also shared with Media Center. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the file still appears in Media Center.

Tim De Baets

Friday, July 06, 2012 3:58 PM
  • Well, that didn't work either.

I don't know what is causing this.

~Joe

Saturday, July 07, 2012 10:30 PM
  • I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some Windows Media Center experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Sounds like a plan.

I posted the question HERE.

If it gets answered, I'll update with what I learned and mark yours as the solution.

~Joe

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:11 PM
  • I am so glad jp2code is posting this issue as I have EXACTLY the same issue.  I have a corrupted "Good Morning America" recording that's 1-min in length and I could not delete it, nor does it show up anywhere and I tried the same procedures as outlined above and nothing worked.  I will be very interested in knowing how to get rid of corrupted recordings as I do not wish to re-install my Media Center and reset all my programming preferences.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:19 AM
  • So, it took a few months to figure out how to delete this, but I was able to do it with the help of JohnW248, a Charter Member over at The Green Button in [[ THIS ]] post.

I don't know if this will work or not, but since the show is less than a  minute, it probably is just a data entry. If your Recorded TV folder is in the default position, it really can't be deleted. However if you have another drive (it has to be on this machine and can be a USB drive, FW, eSata but not NAS) you can do this: Go to settings, TV and Recorder, Change the location to your new Drive. Windows will create a Recorded TV folder there along with the Temp Rec and other hidden files and set sharing and ownerships rights. Now you have a valid Recorded TV folder you can try and delete the other Recorded TV folder. Record something in the new folder first and make sure it is working and has a recorded TV show (in fact do a couple) close Media Center, reboot the machine and then open Media Center and try delete again on the Big Bang Theory. I've had stubs before and once (I think it was Vista) I had to move all the recordings from a folder before I could then remove the Recorded TV on that drive from Media Center and delete it and then recreate a Recorded TV folder and move the good shows back.

Others may have the location of the data base recorded tv location that you could delete (with Media Center closed) reboot and restart Media Center and it will create a new xml file. I think its in windows/ehome but I'm not sure of the exact file name.

John

Thanks to JohnW248.

~Joe

• Marked as answer by jp2code Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:56 PM