none
Ping and Tracert return General Failure

Question

• My PC resolves the hostname to the correct IP but my ping and tracert return error "General Failure." (and tracert immediately gives the error, indicating an issue with my machine).

I tried using a fix that I found through google, the command 'netsh winsock reset' but that was to no avail. I almost thought it worked as I could access the site after the restart, but this was while my applications were still loading. I refresh the page and I get the Firefox cannot connect error.

This leads me to believe there may be some kind of fault on my configuration somewhere but I have no anti-virus nor firewall application running though I have however used Spybot's Search and Destroy immunizer tool, which includes modification to my HOSTS file. Other than that I don't believe I have any application that could be causing an issue with site access.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1.

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly, please let me know which destination you tried to ping and tracert? Can you access this website using the IP address?

Meanwhile, please try the following to test the issue:

1. Register DNS via command on Windows 7:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

2. Reset hosts file

3. Test the issue in Clean Boot mode to check whether this is a third party tool issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Express93 Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please let me know which destination you tried to ping and tracert? Can you access this website using the IP address?

Meanwhile, please try the following to test the issue:

1. Register DNS via command on Windows 7:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

2. Reset hosts file

3. Test the issue in Clean Boot mode to check whether this is a third party tool issue.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Express93 Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Hi there,

The site I am trying to access is http://www.roxnet.co.uk/ though I also have had the same trouble with http://ast.ucoz.org/ and http://www.rootgaming.net/

I will try a Clean boot mode some time today and I will also try a hosts file reset now. I've already tried your first suggestion already before resorting to asking online.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Just thought I'd mention that resetting the HOSTS file had no effect.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Not *entirely* sure which step fixed it, I think it may have been something in my hosts file after all, not too sure.

Either way, it's fixed now apparently.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Hey, Know this is a few years late but i have just run into that problem with my laptop, and found a fix. It took me about 30min to work my ways back up the layers but found it had something to do with the firewall. But with a simple fix by allowing the "ICMP" protocol through both outbound and inbound made it work, but with the downside of your laptop being able to route packets (depending on how you think about it). So i vetoed for a upgrade in service pack from sp1 to sp2 which seemed to fix it. 

On a note for people with this problem. You can test this by going into command prompt and attempting to ping a server on the internet (eg:facebook or google), then attempting to ping your default gateway and then pinging your loopback(127.0.0.1). You should get a reply off the loopback (always) But not from your default gateway or from the external server.

Hope this helps :)

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:46 AM
  • Here's a really quirky version on the issue.  Using Windows 7 professional on a Dell Latitude laptop.

This is on a wireless G network.

When roaming the house, the internet works fine.

As soon as I connect it to the Dell docking station, the internet stops working.  But NOT the network!

I can connect to the wireless router just fine.  DNS lookups work.  But I can't connect to web sites.

Using ping or tracert results in this same "general failure".

It does have to be something with the computer configuration - but this time it only affect the computer when on the docking station!  If I disconnect from the docking station, the problem persists until I reboot.

Network troubleshooting doesn't work (all that tries is resetting the adapter anyway for any problem I've ever seen) and manually disabling/reenabling the adapter doesn't work.  ipconfig shows correct settings, and "route print" doesn't show anything amiss.  I haven't tried disabling firewalls or anything.

Any ideas?

Monday, March 10, 2014 12:18 AM