none
Have Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate CD but Need to install 32 bit

Question

• Hi there,

I have a free promo copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit but my computer will only support the 32 bit.  Is there a way I can "trade" my 64 bit for 32 bit?  Or better yet, just be able to install the 32 bit but keep my license for the 64 bit?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I have a free promo copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit but my computer will only support the 32 bit.  Is there a way I can "trade" my 64 bit for 32 bit?  Or better yet, just be able to install the 32 bit but keep my license for the 64 bit?

Hi

The retail versions of Windows 7 come with both the 32bit and 64bit disks and you can install either version with the same product key.

Unfortunately, Promotional and other special offers are usually restricted to the one disk that is provided.

Your best source of information would be the people who offered the promotional copy of Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:15 PM

All replies

• The retail purchase of Windows 7 arrives with two (2) DVDs in the box - one for a 32-bit install, one for a 64-bit install. Whoever provided you with the 64-bit DVD should have mentioned that at the time so you could have received the correct version. Either ask them for the 'free' 32-bit version or buy  your own.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hi, if your computer cannot support 64 bit. You can use install the 32 bit version with the same license key. There is no problem for that but it have to be the same version. So in your case Windows ultimate 32 bit. I don't know where you get the 64 bit DVD but if in a store product you should have both version. if not you can change it.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Hi there,

Hi

The retail versions of Windows 7 come with both the 32bit and 64bit disks and you can install either version with the same product key.

Unfortunately, Promotional and other special offers are usually restricted to the one disk that is provided.

Your best source of information would be the people who offered the promotional copy of Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:15 PM
  • I have the exact opposite problem.  Want to trade media?
    Friday, June 11, 2010 1:59 AM