none
Windows 8 Mouse cursor freezing

Question

• Hi guys! So in January or so my Windows 8 trial ended and I got the full version of Windows 8. My computer is also custom made.

Anyways, a month or so ago the cursor randomly froze. The mouse was still on and plugged in, but I couldn't move the cursor, scroll down, click on anything, etc... I tried three other mouses too and the same thing happened. The only thing that remedies this problem is to restart/shut down the computer. Sometimes it takes only ~5 mins after a restart for the cursor to freeze. What do I do? Is this a Windows 8 problem, a computer problem, or a mouse problem?

It freezes repeatedly too, like multiple times a day. For a few weeks though it stopped then it froze, etc... Also, I noticed by switching the USB ports it helps a little, but doesn't prevent freezing

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi guys! So in January or so my Windows 8 trial ended and I got the full version of Windows 8. My computer is also custom made.

Anyways, a month or so ago the cursor randomly froze. The mouse was still on and plugged in, but I couldn't move the cursor, scroll down, click on anything, etc... I tried three other mouses too and the same thing happened. The only thing that remedies this problem is to restart/shut down the computer. Sometimes it takes only ~5 mins after a restart for the cursor to freeze. What do I do? Is this a Windows 8 problem, a computer problem, or a mouse problem?

It freezes repeatedly too, like multiple times a day. For a few weeks though it stopped then it froze, etc... Also, I noticed by switching the USB ports it helps a little, but doesn't prevent freezing

If you haven't done so already you need to install the motherboard chipset drivers for Windows 8 from the motherboard manufacturer for your specific motherboard. 
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:24 AM

• If you haven't done so already you need to install the motherboard chipset drivers for Windows 8 from the motherboard manufacturer for your specific motherboard. 

So I downloaded Speccy and here's what it revealed about the motherboard:

Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    Model: H61MGC (SOCKET 0)
    Version: 6.0
    Chipset Vendor: Intel
    Chipset Model: Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision: 09
    Southbridge Vendor: Intel
    Southbridge Model: H61
    Southbridge Revision: B3
    System Temperature: 36 °C 

What chipsets do I need? Also, there's more info about motherboard voltage and BIOS. Do you need that?

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:28 PM

• If you haven't done so already you need to install the motherboard chipset drivers for Windows 8 from the motherboard manufacturer for your specific motherboard. 

So I downloaded Speccy and here's what it revealed about the motherboard:

Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
    Model: H61MGC (SOCKET 0)
    Version: 6.0
    Chipset Vendor: Intel
    Chipset Model: Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision: 09
    Southbridge Vendor: Intel
    Southbridge Model: H61
    Southbridge Revision: B3
    System Temperature: 36 °C 

What chipsets do I need? Also, there's more info about motherboard voltage and BIOS. Do you need that?

Go here: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=547#dl

Download and install the 32 or 64 bit chipset drivers, depending on which version of Win 8 you have.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:46 PM

• Go here: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=547#dl

Download and install the 32 or 64 bit chipset drivers, depending on which version of Win 8 you have.

Sorry it's been a few days, but I've downloaded the chipsets and the freezing still occurs. 
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:54 AM