none
Now that I have Internet Explorer 8 working cherry with XP Pro SP3...Windows 7 is going to be an extremely hard sell.

General discussion

• I know this is a forum for Windows 7.  But, I gotta say, I finally have Internet Explorer 8 working beautifully in Windows XP Pro SP3.  I was spending so much time with Windows 7 that it took me a while.  For me this success with Internet Explorer 8 puts XP well ahead of Windows 7.  There were some other things with Windows 7 combined with Internet Explorer 8 that I didn't like that pushed Windows 7 behind, namely, no more Desktop Icon with the ability to go into the Internet Properties and clear the cache.  You actually have to open up the browser to do that in Windows 7.

The only major interest that I would have in owning Windows 7 would be for Windows Media Center. That's the only thing that XP Pro doesn't have.  And, I must admit Windows 7's Media Center is actually superior overall to my Hauppauge/WinTV application for watching TV using Windows 7 or XP Pro.  Still, there is the Snipping Tool of Windows 7 (XP no got) is kinda neat.  But I can use Windows Media Encoder in XP Profor that same function.  I can't think of anything else that would warrant a purchase of Windows 7.

$100 for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.  That's my best offer.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansign Speakers...
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:54 PM

All replies

• Their is so much more available with Windows 7 than you can do with windows XP....
    Here are the new features in Windows 7 that are not available for either Vista SP1 or XP SP3:

- Libraries
    - Search Federation
    - EnterpriseSearch Scopes – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - DirectAccess – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2
    - VPN Reconnect
    - BranchCache – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2
    - Mobile Broadband
    - RemoteApp& Desktop Connections
    - BitLocker To Go – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - AppLocker – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - MultipleActive Firewall Profiles
    - Domain Name SystemSecurity Extensions
    - Biometric Support
    - Scripting of Group Policy Settings – Requires RemoteServer Administration Tools for Windows 7
    - Windows Troubleshooting Platform
    - Problem Steps Recorder
    - Remote Access to Reliability Data
    - Dynamic Driver Provisioning
    - Multicast MultipleStream Transfer
    - VHD Image Management & Deployment
    - Rich RemotingExperience (Multimedia, Bidirectional Audio, MultiMonitor)
    - VHD Boot

and so much so much more, starting with a MUCH better interface and browsing experience.

I really dont understand when people say they want to stay with a tool that is almost 10 yeas old... in IT 10 years is like a 100 years...

Unfortunatly people always seem to be resistant to change, and always so influenced by others, Windows 7 is AMAZING compared to XP
    XP was amazing as well, i love it, but i stoped using it a long time ago...
    Benjamin Niaulin
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:55 PM
  • - Libraries
    - Search Federation
    - EnterpriseSearch Scopes – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - DirectAccess – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2
    - VPN Reconnect
    - BranchCache – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2
    - Mobile Broadband
    - RemoteApp& Desktop Connections
    - BitLocker To Go – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - AppLocker – Requires Windows 7 Enterprise
    - MultipleActive Firewall Profiles
    - Domain Name SystemSecurity Extensions
    - Biometric Support
    - Scripting of Group Policy Settings – Requires RemoteServer Administration Tools for Windows 7
    - Windows Troubleshooting Platform
    - Problem Steps Recorder
    - Remote Access to Reliability Data
    - Dynamic Driver Provisioning
    - Multicast MultipleStream Transfer
    - VHD Image Management & Deployment
    - Rich RemotingExperience (Multimedia, Bidirectional Audio, MultiMonitor)
    - VHD Boot
    ....and I have no absolutely need whatsoever with any of these features, or any other features not in the above quote.

XP is not almost 10 years old.  Only been on the market since early-mid 2002.  7 years of age almost to the day.

XP is easier to use, easier to navigate with .  Windows 7's Windows Explorer is a pain.  The only thing Windows 7 has to out-benefit XP Pro is Windows Media Center and all the pretty pictures and eyecandy.  I have not experienced any remarkable diffences in boot up speeds between Windows XP and Windows 7.  If anything Windows 7 is only slightly ahead in that regard.  As far as browsing the internet there is no difference whatsoever.

I believe I have give Windows 7 a fair shake.  Plus, I will also state that Windows 7 is quite an improvement over Vista.

I'm happy with XP.  It has been and will continue to be my OS of choice.

GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansign Speakers...
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Do you even know what some of them are?

-DirectAccess , access ressources at work without the need for VPN...

Help mobile users get more done

Working outside the office is about to become a lot simpler. DirectAccess in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 enhances the productivity of mobile workers by connecting them seamlessly and more securely to their corporate network any time they have Internet access—without the need to VPN. When IT enables DirectAccess, the whole corporate network file shares, intranet Web sites, and line-of-business applications can remain accessible wherever you have an Internet connection.

Manage remote machines more effectively

Without DirectAccess, IT administrators can only manage mobile computers when users connect to a VPN or physically enter the office. With DirectAccess, IT administrators can manage mobile computers by updating Group Policy settings and distributing software updates any time the mobile computer has Internet connectivity, even if the user is not logged on. This flexibility gives IT the opportunity to service remote machines on a regular basis and ensures that mobile users stay up-to-date with company policies.

I guess if you jut need a place to save your folders and browse the net you can stay with XP but then why would you ever move to a new operating sytem?
    On top of that in XP you cannot add Tags when saving files whereas in Vista and 7 you can add tags to your files to quickly find them using the much more advanced indexing and search.

In any case, everyone is entitled to hes opinion and if you dont need these new features then yeah definitly stay with XP.
    Personally, ive been using Windows 7 since beta and i dont think i can go back to anything less with what we plan to use, little things like the new builtin Calculator which offers so much more features is already SO useful...

Benjamin Niaulin
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Yes.  I know what all those features are.

Friday, May 22, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Another thing that I would like to point out:

The transition from Windows 98 to Windows XP Pro was a very easy and welcoming experience.

The transition from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 (even Vista) left too much to be desired.  Almost sickening in fact. 
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Oh yeah...

Benjamin-

I like the way you COPY/PASTE-d all that information.

Couldn't think of anything original ey?

Microsoft prints it, you think it.

Knock yourself out.

Have fun.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:04 PM
  • 64 bit versions of XP and Server 2003 are only four or five years old.  The server version of Vista is Windows Server 2008, and it is only about a year old.

The user interface on servers changed too rapidly, from the XP equivalent interface on Windows Server 2003, in 2007, through the Vista equivalent Server 2008 to now, with the Windows 7 equivalent Server 2008 R2.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Oh yeah...

Benjamin-

I like the way you COPY/PASTE-d all that information.

Couldn't think of anything original ey?

Microsoft prints it, you think it.

Knock yourself out.

Have fun.

?

why would i try to explain a feature in my own words when the definition is already there? i dont see why your taking this so personal.

I was simply trying to point out that their is no reason to stay with XP when Windows 7 has more features, runs faster and is a lot more fun to look at. Battery usage is much longer on laptops. You can stream your windows media player library to any other computer in the world running W7, all you got to do is log in with windows live...
    When windows XP came out, people were complaining that it kept crashing and giving blue screens, then their was that big problem where hackers would use the messenger service installed "net send" to send advertisement to computers, people complained and today everyone wants to keep it.
    Windows 7 is not even out yet and people are complaining, give it a chance to grow...

i just dont see why people are so quick to judge and dont try to move forward with technology. Im a consultant/trainer and the biggest problem i see is companies with the same thinking "its not broken so lets not touch it", and today they still have NT4 and exchange 5.5 installed... i showcase Exchange 2010 ... "oh no interface is too different"

Technology will never move forward if we dont try to move forward to as people.

I am not a professional debater, i dont have 100000 arguments to  your statements, i work in IT and i love playing with the new tech. Again im not saying XP is bad, i think its a GREAT environment but very limited alongside today's technology.

Benjamin Niaulin
    Friday, May 22, 2009 8:37 PM
  • DavidLee...

don't be so harsh. I've worked with XP since the beginning, and I found it a GIANT step from the 95/98/ME era. Not only that, I found it - with all the flaws it has, especially on the security sector - a very NEEDED and DESIRED progress from the previous systems. And it showed such a good overall experience (hence the name...) that many many people and mainly many companies trust in it until today. Well, on the other side. I never felt the need to upgrade to Vista. I didn't feel like a gamer who urgently needs the newest hardware only to get his favorite shooter to work. No NEED and no DESIRE to upgrade.
    But Win7, as I see it after looking at the beta and now at the present RC, seems another thing. It consumes much less CPU and RAM resources than any previous Windows including XP. It runs very stable (well, if some pending driver and other compatibility issues are resolved), very fast and at a very satisfying and customizable security level. Not to forget the old "look & feel" phrase: Looks good and feels good, and those who don't like "eye candies", ok turn it off. BTW: The "eye candy" thing is the very best proof of Win7's performance. Imagine such a background display arrangement in XP: wouldn't there be severe impacts on performance? In Win7, I see nothing of that - and please, look at my testing system's decent specs. And what concerns the many complaints about the UI: Agreed, much of that seems to be born from a game designer's head, the newest thrill is pen-and-touch (no idea how many people will use this in the near future), hence huge icons, eye-soring taskbar, scrolling left-right, up-down everywhere... but who cares? I changed most of that gimicks to workable settings, and (who would think it) Win7 allowed me to do even that.
    End of a long sermon: Give it a chance. For me, Win7 can be an exception to the rule "don't fix it, if it ain't broken". (If I may add an even more personal impression: Since I'm using Win7, I find XP wayyy more outdated than before. I'm switching often. Think of it what you want.)
    Mob. AMD64 3000+, 1 G RAM, Mob. ATIRadeon9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Sanmartin-

I don't think I'm being overly critical of Windows 7 at all.

Since the release of Windows 7 RC 7100 I have been using it almost everyday.  That's just about 3 weeks.  And, in that 3 weeks, I have used XP Pro very sparingly, mostly on a as-needed basis.  I have gotten to know Windows 7 pretty well for what I would like to do with it.  I've done my tweaks here and there.  I have everthing installed on Windows 7 that I already have had running with Windows XP Pro.  Everything I have installed in Windows 7 appears to be working smoothly, the only exception being my video editing application (apparently it has some conflict with the NTFS filing system...more below).  That being said, I have found no remarkable functionality differences in running these applications in Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro, but yet still another exception is  my RealTek HD Audio Control Panel (no equalizer like in XP...I want my equalizer back...boo hoo).

I have used the Virutal XP Beta to run my video editing software with the 32-bit Windows 7.  I had the same installation messages "...cannot register this and that..." with the XPVM that I had with Windows 7.  Since the XPVM is using the NTFS filing system that pretty much narrows down the problem that my video editing software has with the XPVM (I don't us Windows XP Pro SP3 with NTFS, I use FAT32, but that's a different topic, so I won't go into that).  Also, my video editing application runs just as bad in the XPVM as it does in Windows 7 and I have the XPVM using a nice big chunk of my system memory (better than half...2GB).  Maybe if I were to install the standard VPC 2007 and install XP Pro on a FAT32 formatted VHDD I could install/use my video editor in a virtual environment comparable to an actual XP Pro environment.  I haven't tried the XPVM with the 64-bit Windows 7 yet.  That will be my next endeavor.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:07 PM

• Their is so much more available with Windows 7 than you can do with windows XP....

Why does everyone continue to insist on enaging this person? Regardless of what his original motivation may have been, all he is doing is engaging in a classic example of trolling. Clearly, all the posts are intended to do is get a rise out people by making inflammatory/controversial comments in what he assumes will be a hostile (i.e., pro Windows 7) crowd.  Why come on and blather on and on about XP SP3 or unspecified "issues" with Windows 7 that the person will not precisely describe?  The posts are no different than the occasional posts on the Nikon forums praising Canon and criticizing everything Nikon.  Everytime people engage those who make these posts, they are feeding the person's sense of self importance and drawing attention away from the point of these forums (improving the RC and helping resolve each other's problems).  They never go away if you respond and will always have another obnoxious/hostile/self-righteous response that will typically (again) be lacking in any actual details.  So he likes XP SP3 - that's nice, he can use it as long as he likes and when he goes to buy another computer he can have fun finding all the drivers.   On my end, I never liked XP, willingly adopted and liked Vista, and see Windows 7 as a logical and (quite impressive) evolution of the Vista platform.  Yes, there are lots of bugs and quirks to address before Windows 7 is ready for "primetime," but those will not be addressed by engaging people who are obviously only interested in trolling. Just my opinion and on that note I'll turn off alerts so that I can ignore this in the future.... 

Stephen
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:16 AM
  • swyost-

I'm not doing anything near what you claim I'm doing.

I come to this forum to share my experiences, whether they're good, bad, or indifferent.  A side benefit is the many things that I have learned from a number of people who contribute to answering questions and solving problems in here.  Plus I like to offer advice and possible answers to other people's issues whenever possible.

Since Microsoft wants my imput this forum is the place for it.

If anybody's submitting posts to get a rise out of anyone IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!

I certainly don't need to be reading any of your rubbish.  From what you wrote above....dude, you don't have a clue.

So go ahead and ignore me.  I couldn't care less.  You can take your half-baked assertations of what you think of me and take a long hike to the moon.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:53 AM
  • I have set up my own version of Virtual XP in Windows 7 RC 7100 64-bit.  I made my own custom Virtual HDD and formatted it to FAT32 with FDISK.  I then installed my copy of Windows XP Pro SP2, installed the more updated Windows Installer (3.1...I think), then went ahead and installed SP3, and finally, the rest of the current Windows Updates that I had previously downloaded and saved.  I then installed my video editing software.  That went really good.  There were no messages at all like in Windows 7 or the Microsoft version of Virtual XP.  Furthermore, I was able to edit a 60 minute, 5GB .mpeg file almost as quickly as it does in a real XP Pro SP3 environment.  My theory about my video editing software having conflicts with the NTFS filing system is now a fact.  It's working very nicely in my custom Virtual XP, with a FAT32 filing system, and about 3.25GB of allotted RAM.

Unfortunately,  I can't keep it.  I don't think Microsoft is going to allow me to activate it.  I tried to activate it over the internet and they wouldn't go for it.  Tried the phone but the autoTech said "...we got problems" so I just hung up.  Now I'm going to make up a Windows 98 Virtual Maching and see what happens with my video editor.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:09 PM