none
How can I install Vista without a CD drive

Question

• My new computer doesn't have a floppy drive or CD drive.  The mobo doesn't even have IDE or floppy ports. 

I have Vista on a CD and Cd player on my XP machine (the one I'm typing on).  I've copied the CD to a USB drive which I could plug into the new computer and maybe boot from it.

Is this a plan?  Will it work?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

First copy all Vista Setup files to your USB Flash Drive and then refer to the following webpage to create a Bootable USB with Vista WinPE 2.0.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/02/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-or-usb-key-with-vista-winpe-20/

Start the computer into WinPE with the USB drive boot and run the Setup.exe in the command line utility.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, March 20, 2009 10:30 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I have tested and used Andy's suggested method before and I will vouch for it as an advanced solution to your problem.  In my experiences, I found that the CD version of PE seemed to load faster, but once in the PE environment everything was the same no matter which media you use to boot the system.

For someone who is unfamiliar with Windows Vista deployment technologies, it is an easier option to purchase a USB DVD player.  Also, you will probably want one in the future to install software.

I would look to the manufacturer first to see if they have a recommended external drive, but if they do not here are some alternatives.

Monday, March 16, 2009 3:14 PM