none
Change Microsoft Account Sign-in to a PIN

Question

• New installation of Windows 8 Pro on a new build. When I try to change my sign-in to a PIN, Windows reports that an "Error prevented capture of your PIN. Try again later." (or words to that effect.)  Of course, "later" never comes.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, June 08, 2013 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please ensure the computer has installed all necessary updates. If the issue persists, please try the following command.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

I assume I'd have to do a system Restore after that command.  I think I'll wait for Windows 8.1 and do a reinstall then.
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:25 PM

All replies

• Could you post back step by step how do you do it and where you get error?
    Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:24 PM
  • I don't think I'm making a procedural error; the procedure is pretty simple and I've done it on several Win8 installations. But here it is:

Go to:

PC Settings > Users > Create a PIN
    First, confirm your current password.
    [Enter Password]
    Click "OK"

"Create a PIN"
    Enter PIN   ______________________  (Must be 4 digits)
    Confirm PIN ______________________
    Click "Finish"

"An error occurred capturing your PIN.  Please try again later."

Can't find many references to this problem. An Internet search so far has only turned up one vague reference to this issue with the suggestion to do a "Restore," or "delete other users," which sometimes didn't solve the problem.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please ensure the computer has installed all necessary updates. If the issue persists, please try the following command.

Niki Han

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Niki Han

I assume I'd have to do a system Restore after that command.  I think I'll wait for Windows 8.1 and do a reinstall then.
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:25 PM
  • same problem
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:14 PM