none
Backup of Multiple Folders Windows Server Backup 2008

Question

• Hi,

I am having a problem with using Windows Server Backup in Server 2008 R2 command line. I am trying to create a backup that will backup multiple different folders in one drive.

The script i have tried: "WBADMIN START BACKUP -backupTarget:\\192.168.0.11\ntBackup\Server2008 -include:E:,C:\Nod32 -quiet". Though I am getting "The specified  file name in the file spec is invalid"

I am not sure as to how to add multiple folders. If i run the command with just the folder path it works.

Could someone help me out as I have search around and could not find anything??

Thank You

Friday, March 04, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

To backup multiple folders, you can do this in Windows Server Backup snapin.

Scorpio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your respnse!

My aim is try to schedule a weekly backup of multiple folders through command power shell and which the above command is not working

Sunday, March 06, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

The feature of including multiple folders is added since Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. It doesn’t support in Windows Server 2008. Please see the note:

For Windows°Vista and Windows Server 2008, specifies the comma-delimited list of volume drive letters, volume mount points, or GUID-based volume names to include in the backup. This parameter should be used only when the -backupTarget parameter is used.

For Windows°7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, specifies the comma-delimited list of items to include in the backup. You can include multiple files, folders, or volumes. Volume paths can be specified using volume drive letters, volume mount points, or GUID-based volume names. If you use a GUID-based volume name, it should be terminated with a backslash (\). You can use the wildcard character (*) in the file name when specifying a path to a file. Should be used only when the -backupTarget parameter is used.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 07, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Yesss, I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition and the above is not working. I am still getting this error message. This is the reason why I felt the need to copy the exact code I used. I also tried both locations by itself and it worked. Using the snapin also worked. Just not through the command power shell.

So i am still stuck?

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Make sure you have access to an account that is a member of the Administrators or Backup Operators group for the computer that you are using to perform the backup and the computer that contains the remote shared folder. In addition, make sure that you have write access to the remote shared folder.

Please use the following type other than the IP address:

\\<RemoteServer>\<SharedFolderPath>\WindowsImageBackup\<ComputerBackedUp>

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hello,

To use Windows backup Powershell cmdlets, refer to the below links:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee706683.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759156.aspx

Some cmdlets for setting Scheduled backup:

New-WBPolicy, New-WBFileSpec, New-WBBackupTarget etc.

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan
    ------- This information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 9:42 AM