none
backup failed code 2147942512 "There is not enough space on the disk"

Question

• Hello everyone,

I have 2 scheduling backups on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. One was created with WSB GUI, the other is a scheduler task with the command:

Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\?\Volume{f0b4975f-6467-11e0-99bf-0030489f0aed} -allCritical -vssCopy -quiet

Today, this command was completed with the error:

The backup operation that started at '?2013?-?04?-?01T23:20:12.629117900Z' has failed with following error code '2147942512' (There is not enough space on the disk.).

This backup is performed to a dedicated HDD connected locally. Now, it has a lot of shadow copies. I bet some of them might be automatically deleted to get more free space.

My question is why does not the WSB manage the disk usage? How can I find the root cause?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try wbadmin with "-keepVersions, or -deleteOldest"

For example:

wbadmin -keepVersions:5 leaves 5 snapshots.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:26 PM
  • You did not answer to my questions. You tried to answer to another one.<o:p></o:p>

I've already faced with this problem on other servers.
    First of all I want to dig into the reasons.  I try to find the troubleshooter or somethiong like that.

Also your answer (wbadmin -keepVersions) has a significant disadvantage - I can't keep as many versions of backup as posible on the disk.

The way with -deleteOldest also is not acceptable. I can get in situation when a deletion of the last copy does not release enough disk
    space for next backup.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Are there other ideas?
    Friday, April 05, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Auto-delect does not automatically delete backups if space utilization by older copies is less than 13% of the disk size. See:

Windows Server Backup automatic disk usage management

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2011/03/14/windows-server-backup-automatic-disk-usage-management.aspx

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 08, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Thank you Shaon for your answer. This is very interesting article. What a pity that it is not official Microsoft documentation.

It seems that this is not my case.

The target disk is 40GB of size. 1/8 of the target volume size amounts to 5GB.

The data that is needed to be backed up is 18.5 GB (I can see it in a results window of another backup job, scheduled in GUI that performs the same backup to another volume).

The shadow copies on the target volume are 21.3 GB. There are 31 shadow copies on the target volume (I used the “wbadmin get versions -backuptarget:<TargetDrive>” command).

I do not think that it is necessary to delete old backup versions to leave less than 1/8 of the target volume size for a diff area.

Also, I can’t understand why yesterday WSB could perform the backup, but today it can’t.

PS

I could be wrong in my calculations. Can you provide me with detailed instructions on how to calculate that my backup requires too many disk space (relative to 1/8 of the target volume size) to perform?

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

As you said it seems not the case.

Please check with this command:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

As it is a VSS based backup, let's check if there are enough space for shadow copy.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Output of the "vssadmin list shadowstorage" command about volume that is a target for backup that failed:

===

Shadow Copy Storage association
       For volume: (\\?\Volume{f0b4975f-6467-11e0-99bf-0030489f0aed}\)\\?\Volume{f0b
    4975f-6467-11e0-99bf-0030489f0aed}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (\\?\Volume{f0b4975f-6467-11e0-99bf-0030489f0aed}
    \)\\?\Volume{f0b4975f-6467-11e0-99bf-0030489f0aed}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 20.903 GB (52%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 21.382 GB (53%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: UNBOUNDED (100%)

===

How can I calculate that the volume has enough space for shadow copy?

Friday, April 12, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

For how to calculate, it depends how many files are updated/edited.

The size of backup target volume is 40GB, while the size of source file is 18.5GB + the size of upsed size is about 21GB, which make me think if this is related, as we may not have enough space to perform a full backup --- So I'm still recommand to delete at least 1 snapshot to get more free disk space and see if it will back to work when the free disk space is larger than source data.

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:22 AM
  • I think the same: if I need more space I will delete the old backups. But WSB does not delete it! It has all that it needs.

Of couse, I can delete the last backup and I bet that backup will start performing. How long it will be going on?

I need a reliable backup, I do not want to wait for next failure.

Why WSB does not perform automatic disk usage management?

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:48 AM
  • I have not got an answer.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:21 AM
  • I still experience this problem.

Is it a Priority Subscriber Support TechNet Forum?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 7:06 AM