none
How to delete the DNS Entry

Question

• Hi

I have disjoined the server from the domain and powered down the Server but when I ping the server it gives the request timed out replies.I have perfomed the same for some servers and for some of the servers when I ping it gives the unknow host reply.

1.After disjoined from a domain I have deleted the A record from DNS Server
    2.Deleted the entries from DHCP reservation

When this work for some servers why this is not working for the other servers.

What necessary steps need to take for this?

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• It could be simply that there is a cached DNS entry is on the computer that is still able to resolve the hsot name.  Just try to clear the cache on the system by running the command, IPCONFIG /flushdns.

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    • Proposed as answer by Meinolf WeberMVP Sunday, July 03, 2011 1:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Monday, July 04, 2011 7:09 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:37 PM
  • In addition to JM.

Check the Name resolution troubleshooting.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961921.aspx

Thanks.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:36 AM

All replies

• It could be simply that there is a cached DNS entry is on the computer that is still able to resolve the hsot name.  Just try to clear the cache on the system by running the command, IPCONFIG /flushdns.

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf WeberMVP Sunday, July 03, 2011 1:35 PM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:37 PM
  • In addition to JM.

Check the Name resolution troubleshooting.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961921.aspx

Thanks.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Hi

I have flushed the DNS before I post her

1.Flushed the DNS in the local maching I try to ping .

2.Tried to ping from the other Servers also

3.Checked in the DNS Servers for the A record ,PTR Record-No entries there

4.Checked in the DHCP Server -No entries there

But still when I get the REQUEST TIMED OUT reply when I ping the server which is DISJOINED from the DOMAIN

WHEREAS I have disjoined another set of servers which is not pinging .

Why this contradiction ?

Please help

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Using PING to troubleshoot name resolution issues/concerns, it not the best of choice.  However if you are trying to ping a host and you receive request timed out, indicating that the name was resolved, you'll need to locate the source that was used to resolve the host name.

It could be cached, hosts file, lmhosts, broadcast etc...Windows will use various methods to resolve a host name.  See if this helps you understand the steps for name resolution...

Microsoft Windows TCP/IP NetBIOS and Host Name Resolution
    http://www.anitkb.com/2010/08/microsoft-windows-tcpip-netbios-and.html

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I have almost 500+ Nodes in the domain.I have tried ping from some other servers also.If its cached it might have resolevd by flushing the DNS,No Host files,lm hosts

I have disjoined the 6 hosts from the domain but only for the 3 hosts I am getting the replies but for the other hosts I am not getting the reply without checking the host file,flushing the dns .I have done nothing but when I ping I get the ping request could not find the host reply.only for the 3 hostnames I get the request timed out reply.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Ok, you have to seperate the concept of domain membership with name resolution.  It doesnt matter if your computer is joined or not.  Name resolution depends on various things to be in place.  If you read over the link I supplied, you'll notice that a Windows machine will not only use HOST name resolution methods, but also try NetBIOS name resolution.

Its challanging to tell you exactly what is happening without knowing more details about your name resolution design.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 3:22 PM