none
Multi-Monitor and VPN Support

Question

• All,

I was trying to move my Virtual Environment from Oracle Virtual Box to Hyper-V.  I have run into a stumbling box that I can't seem to get past.  One of my main uses of Virtual Environment is to use it to remote into my Work PC.  I work from home, so this VM I run quite a bit.  To connect to work I use Cisco AnyConnect.  I do want to use multiple monitors(4) to do my work and my current graphics card does not support grouping monitors into a single one(I'm looking at upgrading sometime).

So, here is my challenge, when I use connect, I'm able to connect to my work VPN.  But I have that  tiny Hyper-V window.

When I use Remote Desktop I can make the screen the size I want.  However, I can't connect to my VPN.  The error message is something about it can't connect from a remote desktop.  I have tried setting up two External Switches so that it has 2 connections two my PC.  However, when Cisco AnyConnect takes over, pinging both IPs become unresponsive.

So, how can I use multiple monitors with Hyper-V and get around this limitation?  

For now, I have had to uninstall hyper-v as installing it causes Oracle Virtualbox to not work at all. I am able to get this to work fine with Virtualbox running a Windows 7 environment.  

My OS is Windows 8 Professional

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

> When I use "connect" from Hyper-V, the AnyConnect from within the VHD works fine(but its in the tiny window).  

What do you mean tiny windows? Do you mean Virtual Machine Connection console Windows? You can use Full Screen Mode to switch display to full screen. Virtual Machine Connection console--> View --> Full Screen Mode

If there is black frame, change the Virtual Machine screen resolution to meet your physical screen.

> When I connect to the VHD through remote desktop(so 4 multi monitors can work), AnyConnect doesn't work.  Somehow
    > AnyConnect senses the difference(even though its essentially the same thing).

Yes, there is something different when you native logon or remote logon to a computer. With native logon, you logon to console session; with remote logon, you logon to a remote session. There is some function limitation in remote sessions.

In Windows Server 2003 system series, you can use “mstes.exe /console” switch to remote logon console session.

In Windows Server 2008 system series, you can use “mstsc.exe /admin” switch to remote logon for administrative purposes. This should also works for Windows Server 2012 series.

> I should problem add then when I connect via AnyConnect on the VHD, Remote Desktop can not connect to that machine even when
    > having 2 external virtual cards.

So when you run Cisco AnyConnect in Hyper-V host, your VM can’t access VPN tunnel? Which kind of network does your VM have, is that External network?

You may create an Internet network, system will create a Microsoft Virtual network adapter for the Internal network. After that you may create a network bridge between the Microsoft Virtual Network adapter and the Physical NIC which you use for VPN connection. After
    that assign the Internal network to your VM.

Check that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Changes to remote administration in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723
    Hyper-V: How to Run Hyper-V on a Laptop
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.hyper-v-how-to-run-hyper-v-on-a-laptop-en-us.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Sounds like what you are trying to do may not even be possible (depending on the Cisco backend version).

Certainly what you're trying to do works from a Hyper-V standpoint. I run like this on multiple virtual machines myself (dedicated 1 each for a client). I don't think adding another network card will help the situation; however, I could be wrong.

Check this article: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/1001721

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:54 AM

All replies

• I'm not entirely clear from your description, but it sounds like you are trying to use Windows 8 virtualization to create a VM.  From that VM you are unable to connect to a work environment over VPN.  Is that correct?

Have you tried installing AnyConnect into your VM?  Or are you trying to connect from the VM through the AnyConnect VPN that was opened by your Windows 8 client?

tim

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Thanks for responding.  Let me see if I can clarify.  

Host Operating System Windows 8 Professional running Hyper-V (not running Cisco AnyConnect)

Hyper-V has VHD of Windows 7 Professional which has AnyConnect installed in it.  

When I use "connect" from Hyper-V, the AnyConnect from within the VHD works fine(but its in the tiny window).  When I connect to the VHD through remote desktop(so 4 multi monitors can work), AnyConnect doesn't work.  Somehow AnyConnect senses the difference(even though its essentially the same thing).

I should problem add then when I connect via AnyConnect on the VHD, Remote Desktop can not connect to that machine even when having 2 external virtual cards.  Its like I need a dedicated Remote Desktop Connection channel or something.

• Edited by michael.wiles Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:07 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

> When I use "connect" from Hyper-V, the AnyConnect from within the VHD works fine(but its in the tiny window).  

What do you mean tiny windows? Do you mean Virtual Machine Connection console Windows? You can use Full Screen Mode to switch display to full screen. Virtual Machine Connection console--> View --> Full Screen Mode

If there is black frame, change the Virtual Machine screen resolution to meet your physical screen.

> When I connect to the VHD through remote desktop(so 4 multi monitors can work), AnyConnect doesn't work.  Somehow
    > AnyConnect senses the difference(even though its essentially the same thing).

Yes, there is something different when you native logon or remote logon to a computer. With native logon, you logon to console session; with remote logon, you logon to a remote session. There is some function limitation in remote sessions.

In Windows Server 2003 system series, you can use “mstes.exe /console” switch to remote logon console session.

In Windows Server 2008 system series, you can use “mstsc.exe /admin” switch to remote logon for administrative purposes. This should also works for Windows Server 2012 series.

> I should problem add then when I connect via AnyConnect on the VHD, Remote Desktop can not connect to that machine even when
    > having 2 external virtual cards.

So when you run Cisco AnyConnect in Hyper-V host, your VM can’t access VPN tunnel? Which kind of network does your VM have, is that External network?

You may create an Internet network, system will create a Microsoft Virtual network adapter for the Internal network. After that you may create a network bridge between the Microsoft Virtual Network adapter and the Physical NIC which you use for VPN connection. After
    that assign the Internal network to your VM.

Check that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Changes to remote administration in Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723
    Hyper-V: How to Run Hyper-V on a Laptop
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.hyper-v-how-to-run-hyper-v-on-a-laptop-en-us.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I'll try those suggestions later tonight.  I'd try them now if Oracle Virtualbox and Hyper-V played nice together.

I'm sure that the full screen mode will launch the window in just one window and not span all 4 monitors as that is the case when I launch most applications in full screen but at least it will be bigger than the approxaimte 1/4 of the 1920 X 1080 screen.  I'm in the process of upgrading to an AMD card with EyeFinity to group monitors so that full screen is all 4 monitors, which should resolve this.  But due to personal budget, it will probably be Jan or Feb before I can complete that.

As far as your question:

I tried creating two external networks, hoping one would get wrapped up with the VPN, and the other would be free to access the original machine.

Anyways, I'll make sure to report back tonight with all of your great suggestions.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Thanks for all your help.  I'm still testing.  Here is my progress:

I did find the full screen mode.  That allows me to see the window in a little bit larger screen with 1620 X 1200.  So its a little bigger, but not quite close to 4 monitors with 1920 X 1080 on each.

I got stalled on the network bridging.  It kept giving a general nondescript error when trying to bridge the connections inside the Windows 7 image.  I have a second network card on order(USB to Ethernet).  Apparantly Best Buy no longer carries these or internal ones.  My plan is to try your bridging suggestion to bridge that card to my regular card and then expose this second card to the Windows 7 Image as well So hopefully I can get into the machine through that so, this is more or less what I'm going to try:

So, here is what I'll end up with when I get that card from NewEgg:

Windows 8 With Hyper-V

Card 1: Regular Network Card

Card 2: USB Ethernet Card

Bridge on Windows 8 between Card 2 and Card 1

Hyper-V

External Switch 1, bound to Card 1

External Switch 2 bound to Card 2

Internal Switch Created

Windows 7 Image

External 1, 2 and Internal exposed

Cisco AnyConnect virtual card

So, hopefully, Anyconnect will bind to card 1, leaving card 2 available to get in through.  Once connected, I can then remote in through the second connection allowing me to use the Hyper-V image on all 4 monitors.

Monday, December 03, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi,

I'd like to confirm what is the current situation after you did some test?

Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Sounds like what you are trying to do may not even be possible (depending on the Cisco backend version).

Certainly what you're trying to do works from a Hyper-V standpoint. I run like this on multiple virtual machines myself (dedicated 1 each for a client). I don't think adding another network card will help the situation; however, I could be wrong.

Check this article: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/1001721

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:17 AM