Problem Statement

In this case, we upgraded his Synchronization Service Engine from Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (MIIS 2003 SP2) to Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager 2010 (FIM2010). We had a customized GALSync Solution in MIIS 2003 that we are now attempting to get working in FIM 2010.

We noticed that GALSync was working for existing contacts. We could see Join Rules being fired and joining to existing objects. We noticed that new accounts would be Projected to the Metaverse, but not provisioned to the Target Management Agents.

Troubleshooting Steps

  • Previewed the object, and the preview completed successfully. However, it only updated the one object.
  • Attempted to debug the GALSync DLL and discovered that the GALSync Solution was different than that of the DLL in the Extensions folder
  • Discovered that the GALSync XML file was 1 KB

Resolution

To resolve the issue, we executed the following steps:

  1. Modified the GALSync Properties to have a Compile Path of something other than Extensions.
  2. Built the GALSync Solution
  3. Went to the folder that is hosting the new GALSync build
  4. Copied the New GALSync DLL file to the Extensions folder
  5. Previewed a single object, and all is well
  6. Ran through the Synchronization Cycle and all is well