With the constant adoption of new virtualization solutions and resources by enterprises, is very important to provide a strong and powerful management solution with centralized structure where you can install, configure, monitor and manage all the available
solutions in a single console. These are the concepts of
System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 (VMM2012).
With it is much easier to control hosts, virtual machines, storage, network configuration and applications. With new features such as Power Management, Windows updates, creation of Private Clouds and several others that offer a complete virtual management
VMM2012 can manage the following virtual hosts:
• Hyper-V 2008 SP2, 2008 R2 Hyper-V and Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1
• Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
• VMWare ESX / ESXi Server 3.5 and 4.1 (managed by VCenter 4.1)
• Citrix XenServer 5.6 Feature Pack 1
Note: Virtual Server and Windows 2008 (without Service Pack) are no longer supported.
New SCVMM 2012 Server Features
• VMM Server in High Availability (Cluster)
• Citrix XenServer Management
• Private Clouds creation and management encapsulating servers, network and storage arrays into a dedicated structure
• Delegating access to Private Clouds with capacity control and quotas
• Server App-V Integration and virtual applications installation to sequence through the VMM2012
• Definition of service templates for creating virtual machines, operating system images and application packages
• Automatic Host system Installation and configuration
• Creation of Hyper-V Cluster environments through administration console
• Network resources creation and configuration (ex: logical networks, IPs and MAC Pools, Load Balancers)
• Storage resources creation and configuration (ex: Arrays classifications, logical drives, storage pools)
• Physical and virtual servers update through WSUS 3.0 SP2 integration
• Power Management between hosts allowing for instance the shutdown of hosts in clusters that are not being used and the automatic start of it when necessary
• Read Only Administrator
For more information, visit
Preview installation requirements
Hardware (up to 150 hosts)
In this demonstration
you will see VMM Server Management,
and VMM Console installation
on the same server.
SQL Server 2008
R2 and Windows
Automated Installation Kit
installed as well.
Log on as Administrator, access
and run setup.exe VMM2012.
in Figure 1 appears.
After loading the
installation and temporary files, accept
the license agreement and
On the next
screen you must
choose the features that
will be installed. Now it is
possible to install
VMM Server, VMM
Administrator Console and the
VMM Self-Service Portal
at the same time. Select
the desired options and click
the name, organization,
product key and
click Next again.
On Microsoft Update, choose
whether to enable
automatic updates and click
Choose the product installation
location and click
Next. It needs at
least 2 GB
of free disk space
on your chosen location.
After clicking Next
as shown in Figure 6
the prerequisites will be checked.
If some requisites
are not installed or
configured the wizard will display
an error message. Correct
them and then click
For VMM Server
reports and data you must have
server name that SQL
Server is installed,
the connection port
server is the
same as the
VMM server, leave the
blanked port), select
the Administrator account in SQL,
the instance and whether to
create a new
database or use
SQL Server Configuration
In the Account
Configuration you must specify
the service account for the VMM
use VMM cluster
you must use a
domain account, and set it
as local administrator of the
You can configure
an Active Directory partition for
storing encryption keys
used by VMM2012.
To do that, specify the path and
On Port Configuration
you must specify the
communication ports with VMM server.
The following ports
are already set
as default, and the
exceptions are created on
To provide the management Web interface
called the Self-Service
Portal, choose the Web
Server settings and click Next.
During installation the wizard creates a share where to store the machine models,
scripts and other files that are used in the virtual machines
and hosts management.
If you already have a share
folder created simply put the name and click
Otherwise the installation process creates a default shared folder.
Check all the options and click Install.
If an error occurs during installation of components,
open the log created in the% SystemDrive%\ProgramData\VMMLogs.
After installation is recommended to be
checked the latest updates on Windows Update.
You can now add and configure hosts VMM
Figure 13 displays an example of VMM Administration Console with
a few VMs, hosts, and
- VMM Administration Console
MCSA+S+M | MCSE+S | MCTS | MCITP | MCBMSS | MCT | MVP Virtual Machine
LeandroEduardo | LinkedIn: