You may find that at some point you need to change the name of the SCCM 2007 database and the steps to do so are below. I worked on a case just like this a few days back and during that time I got the opportunity to confirm that this procedure works and is supported in the lab.
We can change the Site Database name by running Site Reset Wizard but before running the Wizard make sure you have renamed the Database in SQL to your new custom name.
1. Follow the steps mentioned in link below to rename the SQL DB:
2. While running Site reset, select "Modify SQL Server Configuration" and under ConfigMgr Site database option give it the new name.
3. After completing the wizard everything should be working fine except the Display name may be wrong and you’ll probably get some warning messages. For example, the name under "ConfigMgr site database server" site system role will still be pointing to old DB name and you may see the warning below:
“Microsoft SQL Server reported SQL message 911, severity 16: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database <name>. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.”
To resolve both of these issues we need to make changes manually to the SiteCtrl file.
1. Stop the SMS_Executive and SMS_Site_Component_Manager services on the Site Server.
2. Backup the SiteCtrl.Ct0 file from the folder %Program Files%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Inboxes\SiteCtrl.
3. Open the SiteCtrl.Ct0 file in notepad and update the following section. In the example below SMS_BAN is my default database name. Modify the database name to reflect the new name.
BEGIN_SYSTEM_RESOURCE_USE RESOURCE<Windows NT Server><["Display=\\SCCMSRV2\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=BAN"]\\SCCMSRV2\ <file:///\\SCCMSRV2\>> ROLE<SMS SQL Server> BEGIN_PROPERTY_LIST <Databases> <SMS Database, SCCMSRV2, SMS_BAN> (Change SMS_BAN to new DB name) END_PROPERTY_LIST END_SYSTEM_RESOURCE_USE
4. Save the file and restart the Services.
After making the changes above the display name for the db was correct and the warnings were gone.
Note: Apart from this we noticed that Reporting Point, Reporting Services Point and Custom Maintenance tasks are few of the things need re-configuration. Basically any component which uses static database entry while connecting.
Note: This information was originally contributed by Mohammed Tajammul Hussain, Technical Support Lead, on the Configuration Manager Support Team blog: