none
2GB limit on Outlook PST file -- does not make sense

Question

• I had run into the 2GB file size limit for PST files that were created some time ago.

I am currently running Outlook 2010 32-bit (though I do have a 64 bit OS and could re-install the 64 bit of 2010 if necessary).

When I received the 2GB file limit notification, I first tried all the suggested registry changes.  That did not help.

Based on input from my IT guru, I created a new PST file from Outlook 2010, and imported all of my old data from the old PST file.

Somehow I still have the 2GB limit.  My current workaround is to go through the sent items folder and delete larger items to keep below the 2GB limit

Yet it seems that I should not be having to do this at this point.

Any suggestions?

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• One thing I can note is that even though I created a new PST file somehow the new file is still in the old file format.  How do I force Outlook 2010 to create a Unicode PST file?  I suspect that is the problem.  I run Windows 7 professional (Dell edition) SP1, and I am on NTFS.

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Outlook 2010 creates a Unicode pst-file (the new format without the 2GB limit) by default.
    Which method of creating a pst-file did you use?

What does your Save As type say when you create a new pst-file via;
    File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings...-> tab: Data Files-> button: Add...

For a screenshot how it should look like see;
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/455

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:19 PM
  •  

Microsoft would tell you that their Outlook 2010 .SPT file size limit is 20-50 gig, and if you reach sizes of this level to break your .PST into multiples.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982577

Personally and professionally, I have seen many many problems for users when they have .PST's in excess of 2 gig, and often result in losing mail and such items.  With respect to Robert, he's correct that the 2010 Unicode format will support much larger files sizes, but again, you would be better off (and safer) to break your .PST down to smaller groups of them, and also enjoy a faster Outlook experience. 

There also may be an organization limit to .PST file size imposed upon users by your Administration group, so you might wish to query them as well.

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:32 PM
  • @SG_Dan
    Even so, using the Unicode format is the recommended way to go as it offers more than just >2GB support. Outlook 2007 SP2 and up have no issues with pst-file sizes up to 10GB with average system specs. Breaking it up into multiple pst-files isn't exactly "safer" when you have backups. I would already hate to loose the last 25MB worth of mail ;-)

Sure, your backup/restore time might be faster with a smaller pst-files, but that really comes down to only a matter of minutes for most backup systems in place.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:20 PM
  • I use outlook 2013

the pst file is unicode

and... the size limit is still 2GB ????

• Edited by thamcore2 Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:08 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:08 PM