Windows Media Center Freezes Windows 8.1 after clean install from Windows 8. RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately, after upgrading to Windows 8.1, Windows Media Center now freezes the entire OS upon attempting playback of live or pre-recorded TV.  The only thing written in the event viewer before the freeze is a warning from Kernel-PnP  "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM{guid-here}".  I may need to revert back to Windows 8... since there has been a code regression in this release.  It is of note, that I have done an in place upgrade to Windows 8.1 - after trying many different suggested solutions - I have also done a clean install of Windows 8.1. I cannot seem to shake this bug.  I will post back if I find a solution. The odd part is that playback succeeds the first few times... then I come back later to the machine and when I try to play live or recorded TV - it freezes the OS and I have to do a hard reboot.

Perhaps one question I'd like answered would be this - what type of device does SWD\WPDBUSENUM refer to?

Monday, October 14, 2013 2:10 AM

All replies

• this Portable Device Enumerator. Do you use external drives?

Wait until Microsoft releases the October 2013 GA Update KB2883200 which also updates WMC:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/ga-rollup-provides-updates-windows-81-rtm

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, October 14, 2013 5:05 AM
  • I do use external drives. In fact, I have the Windows Media Center recording storage set to an external USB3 drive. I hope the patch addresses this. I will come back and mark your answer as correct after the roll out (assuming it fixes the issue). Thank you.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:39 PM
  • KB2883200 does seem to have resolved the OS freezing issue... however it seems to have introduced a minor bug in its place - recorded TV shows are listed twice inside WMC. 
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:43 PM
  • I fixed this by modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Media
    Center\Service\Recording\WatchedFolders.  It had put the drive letter path (d:\recorded tv\) as well as the network path (\\mypc\recorded tv\) into the key. I removed the network path and all is well. Hopefully, WMC will not regenerate this.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:54 PM
  • nice to hear that your Media Center issue are fixed by the Update :)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:07 AM