none
secondary SUP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 1 SUP in my SCCM infrastructure.

Now, I need to replace it, so I build a new one and make new instance in SQL server. But I can't build my new WSUS database on this new instance. Is it normal ?

How i should make this replacment ?

Merci de marquer comme reponses les interventions qui vous ont ete utile.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:34 PM

All replies

• No, you can install another SUP in your environment, what was the error?

First remove the SUP role and and then install the new SUP role.

Kannan.CS | kannancs@hotmail.com

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:26 PM
  • Why do you need to replace it?

Why are you using a new SQL instance?

Why can't you use the new SQL instance that you built?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:42 PM
  • because it's in customer infrastructure and I need both work in parallel temporary.

Today we had only to install the SUP and launch synchronisation for metadata and next week test all is ok with ADR, ....

I read some topic and I ignored SUP is only metadata.

Normally, I had to remove the actual SUP and install the new one, launch synchro and all is OK ? or there are some aditionnal step ?I don't find any microsoft documentation about it...

I use new instance cause I read on MS documentation it's a best practice to help troubleshoot performance issue.

I create new SUP cause the actual WSUS is on SCCM server and OS is 2012 (no R2). New WSUS is on 2016 and I need to add W10 support.

• Edited by matteu31400 Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:16 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

There is no need to create a new instance, we can also configure multiple SUP in SCCM with same SQL instance, when we configure the second one, we need to tell the CONTENT_DIR to use the share on SQL server by:
    wsusUtil.exe postinstall SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=xxx.xxx.xxx CONTENT_DIR=\\xxx.xxx.xxx\WSUS

For more reference about configure multiple SUP in SCCM:
    http://www.checkyourlogs.net/?p=22541
    (Third party link, just for your reference.)

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:37 AM
  • Sorry, that doesn't answer any of the questions above and contradicts some of what you wrote before.

Are you planning on having two SUPs in the long run? If so, why? (I'm not saying you shouldn't, but we need to understand the scenario here to help).

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:22 PM
  • Sorry I'm not english and it's not always easy for me to explain it in english.

First I think :

I have to install new sup in new SQL instance (like Microsoft best practice is when you want to install 1 SUP).

Then I have to download all updates again in new SUP.

BUT When I read some topics here, I understand SUP doesn't need to download updates agains because the updates are on the DP. The SUP is only for metadata update and the only "long" job it has to do is the first synchronisation.

So, What I did ?

I install new SQL instance.

I install new server + WSUS on it.

I install SUP role on it to synchronise update but when I did it, all Microsoft categories were check and I don't know why so first ynchronisation was about 1.3 millions items. I stoped it and delete old SUP + go into SCCM to check one product, apply and uncheck it again to force product synchronisation on the new SUP (I totally ignore why all microsoft product were synchronised because there were not checked on SCCM console).

Synchronisation was complete !

So, now :

I have only 1 SUP in SCCM console (the new one) and synchronisation is OK.

What I have to do next :

Delete old SUP database, remove WSUS role from SCCM server (it's the old WSUS).

-Put maintenance script to maintain SUSDB database with microsoft KB

-optimize IIS with Microsoft KB

-Create both new ADR : 1 for SSU and 1 for W10 updates (my customer doesn't want to patch server with SCCM now).

I hope you understand me better now ?

Friday, January 10, 2020 7:20 AM
  • make sure the wsus console is still on the sccm server after removing the SUP role & when installing a new SUP role remotely
    Friday, January 10, 2020 8:41 AM
  • Why is it necessary ?

When I will remove old WSUS, the console will probably be removed... I will install it again if necessary

Friday, January 10, 2020 9:01 AM