none
Dashboard and custom reports not sorting dates chronologically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have Microsoft Project 2013 (15049371000). The standard report 'Project Overview' contains a table showing milestones and their finish dates. I have tried to sort the table by finish date using the Field List sort by option and the dates are not chronological. Some of them are and then they jump back to a previous month. Also not all of the milestones are showing. They only appear when I select 'Show Hierarchy' which I do not want to show.

Previous threads suggest updating to latest version which I have done. Does anyone have a solution?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:49 AM

All replies

• ToniRamage,

First of all, thanks for telling us right up front which version you are using and the version update level.

I just tried a sample file using the scenario you describe and it seems to work fine for me. One thing I did notice is that the report sort option by default shows the ID field as the second sort criteria so if you set the Finish field as the first sort criteria and left the ID field as the second sort criteria, perhaps that is affecting what you see. Just a thought.

Does this same issue occur if you try a new test file with some random tasks and milestones?

John

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:18 PM
  • john's right, the sorts aren't set and so the data is probably displayed in the ID order at best or the order that it was input (by unique ID).  Worth changing the sort order for the tables

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:50 PM
  • Did you find a solution for this ? I am having the same problem
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:08 PM
  • EvaMcM,

This thread is a bit dated. Ben and I made suggestions for the original poster and never heard back, so the assumption is that our suggestions worked.

In order for us to help with your issue, you need to explain exactly what you have and what you are trying to do. Also tell us which version of Project you are using and if it is fully updated. Matter of fact, it makes more sense if you create a new thread for your issue.

John

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 4:24 PM