DNS server stops responding to requests after about 20 hours RRS feed

• Question

• The DNS server included in 2008R2 is kind of useless, it has to be restarted every day, it just stops giving out domain names.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

can you report here all errors that you find in you eventviewer,
    section system and DNS ?

Edoardo Benussi - Microsoft® MVP Management Infrastructure - Systems Administration https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/Profile/Benussi
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:54 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post here.

From the description, the DNS service on Windows Server 2008 R2 stops responding.

Please help to collect the following information for investigations:

1. When the DNS service stops responding, please check what DNS service respond when it receive a DNS query.

2. Does this issue exist for all domain names or just some specific domain name?

3. When this problem happens, can you resolve the same domain name from the DNS server itself?

a) When the issue happens, on the Windows Server 2008 R2 server run "ipconfig /flushdns" to clear the local cache.

b) Check how it works if you ping your domain name and nslookup the DNS service.

4. When this problem happens, please run the "netstat -ano >C:\netstat.txt" command on the problematic DNS server and send the resulting netstat.txt file to me.

5. Please also enable DNS debug log and send me the resulting debug log when this issue is reproduced.

6. You can collect the MPS report on the server for the analyzing. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration including security events. To collect the MPS log:

a. Please download MPS Reporting Tool from the following link:

(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en)

b. Right click mpsreports_x64.exe and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.

c. Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?

d. When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Then send the package to me at v-mileli@microsoft.com for further investigation.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:05 AM
  • 1. no responses, even if its for a local address
    2. all domain names
    3. no
    4. fail

No to errors in event log

don't have time to debug it, works again if you restart the DNS server service

Have changed to "Dual Server" from sourceforge.net and disabled the 2008R2 DNS server, and it all works find now

I remember having the same problem with Windows 2003, I ended up running "Dual Server" then as well (and Dual server has a log of all sites visited)

Does the Windows DNS server not handle stress well?
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

From the description, it seems the DNS service totally stops responding on the server side.

4. Please run CMD as Administrator and try again. A NETSTAT will help us to identify whether the DNS service properly listen the port for service. If the port 53 is listened by the DNS service (SVCHOST), you may capture a network trace on the problematic server to check the reason why the DNS service didn't respond.

You can get the network monitor from the following link and install it on the DNS server.

Download the NetMon3.3 from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en

1) Install the network monitor on the problematic server.

2) Start the capture and try to resolve the name from the client.

2) Once the name resolution fails, stop the captures and save the network trace files to verify what happen on the DNS requests. You can also send the trace log to me at v-mileli@microsoft.com for further investigation.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Friday, August 28, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Hi There,

Was this issue ever resolved as i have a 2008 R1 SBS server with about 10 clients that does exactly the same thing. Updated to SP2 etc and no help. I have to restart the DNS server service about 3/4 times a week. Getting a little tiresome now....! Thinking about creating a batch file to restart the service automatically!!

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Kris
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:37 AM
  • I use Dual Server on all systems I Install http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/
    The Windows ones just don't make the grade.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

Dragging up and old thread here, but I have to agree.  Just went production with some 2008 R2 servers, all patched up to date and the dns is basically useless.  Keeps stopping responding to queries once or twice a day, just returns nothing and times out.  I have the checks on but I guess it's just pulling the answers from the cache. No errors can be seen.  Restart the dns server (not the whole server, just dns)  and queries are answered again.  We do hit them fairly hard, but nothing it should not handle OK.  2003 seemed fine with the same loads as did our other boxes.

Anyone find a solution?
    pjsmith
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Hi .

I found if I disable my network in the Network and Sharing Centre after I reboot, and then enable it again in the system properties, the network comes back on. disable and then enable the network card

Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:27 AM
  • The DNS server is fine, it is how or who configured it could make it a mess if they do not know what they are doing.
    MCSA Windows 2003 MCP Windows NT 4 Workstation
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:26 PM
  • I have a similar symptom on a 2008 R2 DC with local DNS service.  After a random number of days or few weeks the service will stop responding to queries, or just be plain stopped, even though i have restart as the 1/2/subsequent failures.  No warnings/errors in standard event logs.

In DNS Server event log I have information events such as 5504 "dns server encountered an invalid domain name packet" but nothing leading me to a cause.   If I don't find a answer in the next few hours I'll likely just set a batch file to restart it daily and check if it's running.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 11:20 PM
  • rience The DNS server is fine, it is how or who configured it could make it a mess if they do not know what they are doing.
    MCSA Windows 2003 MCP Windows NT 4 Workstation

My experiance proves otherwise.  A stock install should at least provide relaible recursive dns for the clients, but it does not seem to.  The buitd in recursion tests still work yet the server stops answering client queries.  The only way we get it t reliably work is to schedule a stop and start every night of the dns service, and still, once a month or so it still requires a manual restart.  This has been replicated on more than 1 server.  Boths servers it currentyl happens on are R2 latest patches and resolve directly over the internet themselves, ie. no forwarders etc.

pjsmith
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Hi - I have exactly the same issue.  Clean Windows 2008 R2 install with AD and DNS installed.  After a few days, DNS just "stops" working.  No errors etc.   All patched to latest SP/updates.

Don't consider myself an expert but it's a very vanilla install of DNS so am suprised to have these issues.  Can't help but feel it's something to do with IPv6...

Turning on DNS logging, I get this when the server isn't resolving:-

24/06/2010 09:49:32 08D4 PACKET  000000000B94A2C0 UDP Rcv ::1             3fb3   Q [0001   D   NOERROR] A      (3)www(6)google(2)co(2)uk(0)

24/06/2010 09:49:32 08D4 PACKET  000000000B94A2C0 UDP Snd ::1             3fb3 R Q [8281   DR SERVFAIL] A      (3)www(6)google(2)co(2)uk(0)

24/06/2010 09:49:32 08D4 PACKET  000000000B982FD0 UDP Rcv 192.168.250.6   3fb3   Q [0001   D   NOERROR] A      (3)www(6)google(2)co(2)uk(0)

24/06/2010 09:49:32 08D4 PACKET  000000000B982FD0 UDP Snd 192.168.250.6   3fb3 R Q [8281   DR SERVFAIL] A      (3)www(6)google(2)co(2)uk(0)

Noticing the SERVFAIL error.  I would be happy to run any diagnostics if anyone would like to help - thanks.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the steps here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/a2a974d8-ed1f-4ab6-b59a-e33eb77fda2b

and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968372

-- Mike Burr
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:59 PM