Event ID 11 controller errors with Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro (RTM) with Media Center. Every so often I get a burst of Event ID 11 errors being logged. For example, at 1:04 PM yesterday, these appeared in the log: -

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR8.
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR9.
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR10.
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR11.

At 9:03 AM, 29 of these events were logged at the same time, all relating to discs 2-6.

These errors always refer to discs 2-6, which all belong to a Silverstone FP37 card reader. Nothing is plugged into the card reader when this happens. My computer is functioning as it should and I never see these errors relating to my SSD (where my OS and software is installed) or my main data HDD - it's always drives 2-6, which is the Silverstone card reader.

The computer is working just fine. The card reader is working fine too, although I rarely use it. No third party drivers are required to be installed for the card reader as Windows just installs its own. The only update on Silverstone's site is a firmware update for the reader, which I had already installed some time ago.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:11 AM

All replies

• Seems to be a problem with the usb 3.0 driver in Windows 8.1. Same here with my Surface Pro and a Kingston usb 3.0 drive.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/df25fb94-ce5d-4e39-b4e7-4923afdb0a06/controller-error-with-usb-30-drive-surface-pro?forum=w81previtpro

• Edited by chris202080 Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:14 PM
  • could this be related to the power save setting in usb? you could turn off and see if it corrects. it's located on the USB Hub device's under the power management tab, in the device manager
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Darren, I'll give that a go, but how do I know which entry in Device Manager relates to the device in question? This is what's listed: -

• Edited by SigmaTheDJ Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:30 PM
  • You can disable usb suspend gobally in your power plan settings. I tried to disable this and set the hard drive turn off time to "never".

Result: controller error appears later (some minutes instead of 30 seconds), but it appears.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

As this error all relate with Silverstone FP37 card reader, there were two possible reason caused this problem.

First, Silverstone FP37 card reader firmware driver is not compatible with Windows 8.1. I also found the operating system support of this product does not contains Windows 8.1. as you already upgrade the firmware, I would like to suggest you contact Silverstone for further assistance.

You can refer to the link for the supporting system details: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=315

Second, if the motherboard driver was too old, also can caused a compatibility problem. you can try to upgrade the motherboard driver to be latest for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I reported this to Silverstone before starting this thread. Since starting this thread, they replied to say they would pass the info on to their HQ.

As for drivers/BIOS, everything is up to date. This is a reasonably new build as the machine is only about a year old and was built with the latest components at the time.

Also, it clearly doesn't just affect this card reader, as someone has posted above saying he has the same issue with a USB 3.0 flash drive.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:11 AM