Browsers Will Not Open Web Pages RRS feed

• Question

• Tried adding this as a reply on another, related forum but no response, so I thought I'd start a new one.

OS Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Avast5 AV

ZoneAlarm Pro

MalwareBytes AntiMalware with realtime protection

ThreatFire

Browsers: IE8 version 8.0.7600.16385, Mozilla FireFox version 3.6.12

Immunet Protect

About a week ago I had notification of 10 Windows updates. I selected 7, having unselected the Office ones, which I do not use. All downloaded and installed except one for IE. Tried various things, including manual install, but to no avail until I ran chkdsk. This identified and checked a couple of disc errors, unfortunately I cannot remember the details. I rebooted and the final update installed ok. Great I thought until I discovered that neither IE nor Firefox would open any web pages.

My router is BT HomeHub 2 with ethernet connection. I am connected to the internet as updates are working, just cannot open web pages. Tried in Safe Mode with networking and pages open without any problem.

I also have a laptop connected wirelessly to the BT Hub and have no problem with it. Also using ZoneAlarm Pro but with Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast5.

Have tried resetting the hub and clearing the IE history. Have not tried System Restore yet and I have no intention of living without MS updates. Also tried Network Diagnostics on Internet Connections. After about 2 seconds got an error message with code 0x80010105.

I have to say it is really disappointing that this problem has been around for such a long time without a clear-cut solution and that it is now present on Win7.

Any positive suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows 7 related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows 7 forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, the issue might occur due to conflict with third party IE add-ons, I would suggest reset IE to check the result.

Open IE, click Tools->Internet Options->Advanced tab->Reset.....

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows 7 related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows 7 forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, the issue might occur due to conflict with third party IE add-ons, I would suggest reset IE to check the result.

Open IE, click Tools->Internet Options->Advanced tab->Reset.....

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response and apologies for my delay in commenting, I've been away. I will do as you suggest.

Thanks again

• Edited by Cloudpilot Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:00 PM addendum
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:59 PM